Winter storage - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 AM

Year: 1993
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Aspencade 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter
No particular "Winter Prep" done here, in Denver it is not uncommon to see 70 (or -20) degree days in the dead of winter. So the bikes are kept ready to ride unless partially dismantled for maint in progress.

I have two Battery Tenders, they get rotated weekly between the two 'Wings, GF's '83 Virago and the big Deep-Cycle battery we use camping. So all batteries are kept in more-or-less top charge. Might be 5 weeks without being started, or then again might be riding two weeks in January! Winter is fickle here.
Shorty Thompson likes this.

1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:09 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I have dedicated Battery Tenders for all of my batteries, got too many of them.
2 mowers,
2 bikes,
2 on the RV

you can buy 4 or 5 battery tenders for the cost of one decent battery
Pastot and Shorty Thompson like this.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:19 PM

Model: GL1800
Garage
I store my tires and bike's with tires off the concrete, not so much to prevent flat spots but to elude the temperature variance. Here the temps are well below freezing and I've always been advised to store them off the concrete, I presume because it maintains a cold spot that freezes the tires more easily near the contact point. Cars I store for the weather get moved every couple weeks so to not sit on the same tire patch all winter. Spares and unmounted tires I rack horizontally and off the ground as well. Here flat spots can become a real issue when sub zero temps are common and can be persistent, but my wing is rarely parked more than a couple weeks, so it's easy to park on the center stand and 2x4. My Virago is on its center stand and there front is jacked up just off the floor.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 128k miles
Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Year: 1986 ,1984 , 1982 , 1985 , 1983 .
Make: Honda , honda , honda , honda , Suzuki
Model: Interstate , Aspencade , Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Goldwing View Post
Whats the idea?
Kinda my thoughts as well.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 PM

Year: 1992
Model: Aspencade 1500
I just keep riding. However, my friend just keeps his nicest bikes in his living room.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Yea living here in northern Wyoming sucks I have several bikes that need winterizing but my 76 goldwing is my pride and joy the bike sat out of commission for almost 20 years just got it back up and going last spring if I could get it in my livingroom I would kept a 750 nighthawk in my first house back in the 80s I think when the roads are clear I'm just going to keep riding Yeller I hate winterizing bikes I think if you can ride them and keep them running the better for them just find a way to warm them before starting and take them up to running temp to get rid of the condensation I think boy didnt mean to be so wendy but dont say much on here so I hope it's not so bad the bike has hibernate all winter so keep giving your much needed tips thanks
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
I've been forced to NOT ride my 1800 for 14 months.
In between, every couple months, I would go start it up and let it run for 30 minutes to make sure the fans have cycled at least twice.

So far, that has worked very well for me....
I also keep a Battery Tender plugged in full time when the bike not going down the road.

Always put it up on the center stand. Makes it easier for me to climb up on it these days.

~ John

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:32 PM

Model: 1986 GL1200 Aspy
Garage
Winterize

I run MMO in the oil and then change oil and filter. I also put extra MMO in the gas and run through carbs- always starts in Spring with one touch on the starter and runs like a dream. On center stand; wood dowels in the exhaust to keep the corn-storing mice out (don't like the burnt popcorn smell all summer long) and check all fluid levels before and after storage. Battery gets used in my snowmobile but also gets charged on a tender monthly.

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page