Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

backfiring

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Shorty Thompson 
#1 ·
have an 88 goldwing with misfiring problems. didnt know any history on bike when wife bought it for my 60th birthday. since then i have replaced timing belts, coils, pulse generators, plugs and wires, had carbs rebuilt with new vacuum lines. right now it fires right up and idles, but under load, backfires out right exhaust. seems like 2 cylinders on right side are not firing in sequence. could the ecm be bad? dont have much more hair to pull out. any info would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
I'd just about bet you got two of the sparkplug wires crossed on the right side....

Reactions: CrystalPistol
#5 ·
bike barely runs

i have an 88 goldwing trike. i dont know any history of bike other than its a california bike. i hit a bump one day and right side of motor shut down. have replaced timing belts, coils, pulse generators,plugs and wires, had carbs rebuilt with new vacuum lines and the right side stil wont fire. have compression in all cylinders, spark in all plugs,but it still wont run. could the ecm be bad or is the motor shot? at my wits end. any ideas would be much appreciated

#11 ·
i have an 88 goldwing trike. i dont know any history of bike other than its a california bike. i hit a bump one day and right side of motor shut down. have replaced timing belts, coils, pulse generators,plugs and wires, had carbs rebuilt with new vacuum lines and the right side stil wont fire. have compression in all cylinders, spark in all plugs,but it still wont run. could the ecm be bad or is the motor shot? at my wits end. any ideas would be much appreciated

Do you have fuel to the right bank.....??????? I believe it needs fuel to run......!!

#6 ·
Perhaps the (BAS)Bank Angle Sensor is bad?

There was a recall on that item for the '88 year. Personally, I remove them and bypass on my bikes.

Given your bike is a Trike, then it's possible too that it was Removed and replaced with a Bypass... I'd check the connector (under forward edge of trunk), to verify that if the BAS is removed, then the Bypass-Wire is not loose or otherwise disconnected. I've seen crummy by-passes made of simple Twisted-Wires (that can come apart).

#13 ·
quote=theo k;5871681]it runs, just on 3 cylinders, will ck to see if bas is there or has been bypassed[/quote]

From your description it is only running on the left 3 cylinders.

You have two carbs, one feeds the left side and the other feeds the right side.

My question was "do you have fuel to the right side"...??????

Why are you going to check the BAS...?? If it runs the BAS is not the issue....!!!:grin3:

Did you read post # 10....???????.....:frown2:

#14 ·
In post #1 (before threads were merged) OP says he put in new wires and plugs, and now backfiring out exhaust on right side. That's when I said likely two plug wires got crossed.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis
#18 ·
BAS is not the problem, if it were the bike would not start at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.