Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Triwing Trike Conversion.

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 11:13 AM
dadztoy

Year: 2009
Make: Honda
Model: 2009 Silver GL1800 ABS
Garage
Just to add a little more updated info for those considering a full trike conversion, I offer my latest experience of a few months ago...

I ride a 2009 GL1800 with a Tow-Pac Instatrike conversion and my wife says to me, go ahead and convert it if your ready... So I go to a local trike converter in Georgia and get a price... A Roadsmith IRS converion with floorboard, rake kit, and a few other bells and whistles like parking brake, light in trunk, etc... They would NOT install the aux fuel tank option as they said they had too many problems with it...

My cost - - - - $17,200 installed + tax!!!!!!

My Tow-Pac Instatrike kit was #3000 (a factory demo), $200 for install, $600 for matching paint, $50 for LED aux lighting, and most recently, $600 for a Traxxion 4.5 degree rake kit... That's $4450 as opposed to $17,200 or a $12,750 difference...

That's a boat load of money for us, and waaaaay to much for me to try and justify for a full trike conversion... Now I know that "mama" gave me the go ahead to do the conversion, but I just can't justify spending that much money when I have the Tow-Pac that does the same thing... Perhaps not quite the same level of ride and/or handling, but I have ridden full conversions on test rides, and there ain't that much difference IMO, and certainly not nearly $18,000 worth...

Now folks, I don't have any axe to grind with those that want or do a full conversion - all I am saying is that for me, on a fixed income, I can't justify it, especially when I paid 18K for my bike, and I don't see that in my future - ever!!!

Honestly, if Tri Wing had an 1800 conversion, I would give it a serious look... I have the skill sets to install my own and I would like to see more "full kits" available for self installation...

I'll stay with my Tow-Pac for the immediate future - it's working quite well for me and I am quite satisfied with it...

Just my opinion, and we all know what that is worth eh???

Les

DSCN0628copy.jpg

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul
Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014

GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Double Darkside - BT-45

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome