Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade already!

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 PM
AZgl1800
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cihilb View Post
I agree. I'm running Win7 and do not want to upgrade to 10.
Every time Microsoft comes out with with a new operating system, a lot of the older software no longer runs.

This is why I and others do not wish to upgrade.

It is just too damn expensive to

1. Replace the hardware
  2. Replace the software with bad results
  3. new software means old applications don't work the same, or at all.
  4. and I have no interest in spending a lot of time trying to revamp old apps into new ones... or recreating the wheel just so that I can get back to "business as usual"
I have a friend who has 3 WinXP desktops on his home WiFi network.
I was just over there yesterday installing new drivers for his brand new HP WiFi printer.

His XP computers are dead unless he is sitting in front of them and powers them up, so as far as he, and myself is concerned, there is almost zero risk of outside malware bothering him. And so far, that has been the case for him.

My personal desktop is Win7 and is online 24/7 and it has never been hit with any serious malware, and this is now the sixth year that it has been online 24/7.

I have a dedicated firewall in the AT&T ADSL modem/router.
Win7 has its' own firewall.
I have run tests several times testing for hacking attempts that can get access to my PC, and it has "so far" been totally impervious to outside attempts to get into it.

I also feel, that my web browsing habits are good enough to keep me from falling for "click bait"... at least most of the time

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome