Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Mounting trunk racks on Gold Wings

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2008, 03:54 PM
SpiderBob

Post imported post

So reading all this it is pretty evident that one must not use the rack to close the lid, dont' let it drop, and perhaps don't use a rack. However, most of us have one and probably will not give it up. So again, after all the posts, it seems to be the best to use the 3mm alloy plate (I assume aluminum or stainless) and mend it to the lid structure. I have the round rack and I have cracks, I have a new lid ordered and am waiting for it. I did have full length plates on the underside but still it cracked. But I did not mend it to the underside. Perhaps a really good glue or even the ABS patch kit using additional ABS material would work good?? what do ya think? Also, what about the flat racks as opposed to the round racks, any difference? Beside price.

Hope my spelling is not to far off, could not find a spell checker.

I like this idea the best - I'll try it.

"easy fix or for prevention,
remove the lid and then remove the inner liners, scuff up the inside of the lid, and line inside of the lid with fiberglass cloth using ABS pipe cement for the resin, a couple layers of glass and you will never crack that lid."

Spider Bob

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY, GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps, it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."

Patriot Guard Rider

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome