Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupid is as stupid does

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  wilmo 
#1 ·
I feel like an ass. A simple job and I broke something to fix something. Installed the shift brace today but in the process I broke the shift pedal. Damn. Yeah, so when spreading the gap to remove the pedal don't take the bolt all the way out yet. I went too far with the bolt all the way out and broke off the end of the pedal. So now my $125 dollar job just got $50 bucks more expensive, including shipping and an extra rubber. Live and learn. Can't ride it for about a week until I get the part. But I do have number 2 and 3, which is for sale. So I'll maybe ride #3 with the for sale sign and maybe actually sell it. Got a $2000 offer today, I turned it down not giving it away. And the usual scam artist who wants to send me a check and have the 'shipping company' come pick it up.
So those pedals are just pot metal and can't be fixed. Stupid is as stupid does....>:)

#4 ·
Ok that'll work. But I still have to wait a week to find out if I have it adjusted right. I don't wait well....

#8 ·
Well that's what I thought but it had a death grip on the shaft, not even a wiggle. While we're on the subject, I got the seal as well. Do you really have to remove the exhaust to replace it? It's not leaking so I just said screw it.

#15 ·
I put one of the shifter helper on my 1500 and had to trim a lot off the piece the shifter goes through but after I finished I realized that if I had changed the normal Allen bolt with the big head on it,I would have had to trim less off and maybe none.
You might look into that option.
This one.

Attachments

#16 ·
Eh. With mine the pivot of the helper was rubbing on the metal part. I had to trim lots of that off as well. I don't think a smaller head bolt would have mattered much as the aluminum was rubbing. Most of the time spent on this project was for removing that metal. I used tin snips where I could and a Dremel tool for the rest. It was a fair amount of work to get that ground off.

#17 ·
Mine has the bolt on the back,I think some were on the front,I agree on the front rubbing on mine too but the back is where I had to remove most of the metal part but for me the smaller head bolt would have cleared the metal part

#19 ·
Seems to me like the head in the front might be better than in the back like mine.then only the front would need trimmed.

#20 ·
When did the change in design happen? I ordered mine last week. Which is the original design, bolt from front or rear? Mine is on the outside.

#22 ·
This is what looks like,
I used a flat washer behind the bolt on piece on the crash bar,I felt it wasn't setting flat because of some welded on the CB.

Attachments

#28 ·
I asked for that one..:laugh: Had I used the other word, I'm sure there would've been even more sarcasm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.