Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Gear ratio or 6 speed gearbox

View Single Post
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:09 PM
JamesPal
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
1800s first gear is so low it's almost useless. Taking off in 2nd is just fine. CV trans that I know about are awful, good concept but terrible in practice.
I know nothing abut the GL1800 but I have been driving a clutch for 50 years in the part of the country where more stops are on hills than not. On a hill creeping up to a stop sign behind 30-40 cars puts a tremendous strain on a clutch. I had a 2011 CV Subaru Legacy for about two months. In CV mode it would put the engine in the most efficient speed for the power/ driving conditions. Or it could be put in automatic mode and it would shift like a normal automatic. It had paddle shifters on the steering column, one for up shifts, the other for down shifts. It worked very well and was fun to drive.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome