Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Problem with OEM shock rebuild, question about progressives

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
matt750

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Interstate
Problem with OEM shock rebuild, question about progressives

Bike: 1985 GL1200 Interstate

I got my new seals in the mail today, so I started the rebuild process after work and this is what I found. I'm guessing its from the incorrect type of fluid previously used some time in the past. The black rubber wad you see on the work bench is what remains of the bump stop, it feels like a milky oily mushy mess. It pulled right off the shaft. The other shock was the same, all the internals cleaned up nicely except for the last bit of rubber goo that was inside the piston assembly.

Looking at schematics, I don't see the shock broken down far enough to order the bump stop.

Anyone know of an aftermarket source for getting these, or has anyone had a similar situation?

Part 2... I really don't want to spend the extra cash (bike has new engine, fresh fork rebuild, new radio and speakers, and new tires all within the past month... $$$$ hah) on new aftermarket progressive shocks, and I really like the ability of having an adjustable ride height with the OEM shocks. Anyone in here that has Progressive shocks and rides mostly solo? I weigh 178lbs soaking wet, ride mostly solo, and carry little to no luggage... are the 412's adjustable enough that I would have a smooth ride, and not get jarred from the seat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0796.jpg (102.1 KB, 18 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome