View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:36 PM
AZgl1800
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Cyndi and I were talking about the hurricanes and where we live now.

Yes, we are in a Tornado zone, but tornados blow up one hour, and then they are gone the next.

If they missed you, your life is not put out of joint the way things are in a hurricane zone..... the eye might miss you, but those winds circling around can sure reach out and do a lot of damage over an extended period of time.... like Harvey when it stagnated around the Houston area and would not leave....

I'm 74, and have been thru a couple of tornados.... the first big one was at Shepherd AFB in Wichita Falls, TX back around 1964... that one took a swath over 11 miles long, and about a mile wide.... it totally removed all buildings on the AFB that were not made out of concrete....

the hospital disappeared right down to the concrete pad it was built on.
Luckily, we had almost an hour's warning that it was coming towards us, and the hospital was evacuated extremely fast.

I was in a classroom, concrete building again, and the students were shuttled into the center hallways away from any doors.... i was positioned where I could see to the NE thru a glass windowed door..... i witnessed straws sticking thru telephone poles, sheets of corrugated iron cutting off anything that it happened it hit edgewise.... like those telephone poles... some of them has been cut off and there was a potato chip curly edge to the top of what was left.

here in Oologah, OK.... I witnessed a tornado pass by to the north of us about 2 or 3 miles, as it went to the east..... it did a little damage to hay barns but not much else.

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome