Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1982 goldwing aspencade w/ trailer for sale. parts or fix.

7K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  wolfblade 
#1 ·
imported post

for parts or fix. over heating. removed thermostat and thst not the problem. located in yuma az. paint on the bike is rough. trailer paint is bad also. trailer has swivel hitch. also have chrome brake covers and huge rear light rack for bottom rear above hitch, and a slimmer for the upper back part of the bike.have 3 oil filters, old cb headsets, cb, original gw tool kit, extra old seat needs to be recovered, one of the computer modules, chrome radiator cover, driver back rest in pretty good condition. engine starts and runs great. 70 k miles. tach is shot. missing one side box cover. 99.9% complete bike. trailer is an actual goldwing trailer from what i know with honda and aspencade logos. if you are interested contact me for more detailed info and pics. $1000 and im pretty firm on that. i spent more but got myself in a little over m,y head on this bike and want to sell. hope to hear from someone who can use all this stuff. i have a lot of old wing stuff. contact me and we can get on the phone and i can tell you exactly everything i have and get you some pics. picture looks a bit better than in real life. cell phones do that. just dont wanna mislead anyone. she dosent look to bad, but the paint is rough.

tim

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

You know Tim, alot of the issues you list are pretty easy fixes.

Most likely the overheating comes from not "burping the baby".

Tach shot, or just the cable?

Side box (saddlebag?) lid can be found on Flea-Bay pretty cheap

I'd rather spend a little time walking you through getting her running and making her a pearl again than see you sell it out of frustration.

Mike

#3 ·
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
You know Tim, alot of the issues you list are pretty easy fixes.

Most likely the overheating comes from not "burping the baby".

Tach shot, or just the cable?

Side box (saddlebag?) lid can be found on Flea-Bay pretty cheap

I'd rather spend a little time walking you through getting her running and making her a pearl again than see you sell it out of frustration.

Mike
looks like from teh pic the side box he is refering to is the locking cover to the glove box on teh right hand side of the box, i agree though these are great bikes and not to hard to work on getting it peal again would be nice i have a 82 aspy the cable for teh tach probably broke right at the engine like mine did, took me about 15 mins to put a new one in.... this bike is well worth the irritation you get some days....

#6 ·
imported post

i'd stand firm on that aswell, i think you've under priced it too, with the trailer to boot, i'd have had that if i lived in the states, as mdkramer said, it would take much to put it right, imho, i'd go the extra distance, make it right and then think about selling it

#7 ·
imported post

oh the rear light bars are not on the bike. this is a pic i had from the guy i bought it from. i have the light assemblys though as ive stated. just havent had time to take all the pics yet and i dont think the forum will let me post that many. so if you want pics i can get as many as you need!

#8 ·
imported post

Tim I agree with these fellows, If I were in Yuma I would be tempted to come and buy from you. There are alot of us guys that have purchased bikes that suffered greatly from PO neglect, including myself. I find it hard and frustrating not being able to get it back up to shape the way I want it. for ex. I need a fairing, speedometer, complete exhaust, tach cable, paint job and so on and so on, but I do enjoy riding and I do it everyday. Sooner or later I will be able to afford these things and I will be very pleased with what I accomplish. IMHO if I were you, take a deep breath, reconsider and fixer up, ride her for a bit and if your still unhappy and want to sell her, I'm sure you will get your money back.

#10 ·
imported post

tim_fellows wrote:
what do you mean by burping the baby?
the cooling system might have an air lock and need to be bled or "burped"

#11 ·
imported post

tried to burp. semed to start working and then went back to heating up when im riding and cooling when i stop. seems a little warmer when i stop now. the fan is working. and it also has another fan that was installed for the arizona desert. i tried letting her idle for a while then went out to ride. when i get home im gonna fire it up and get on the freeway for a couple miles. see if thatll help. she is a pleasure to ride. i rode her about 150 miles without a problem before this. she really even had more get up and go than i thought it would have.

i was told the water pump is in the housing that the lower radiator hose is connected to. is this true? if so i have seen no coolant coming from that area which would mean the water pump is good.

when i took out the thermostat all the coolant is fresh. no brown in the system at all.

#13 ·
imported post

Yeah, give it a little more time before you sell it. I bet its something simple. Like I said, If I could get to you, you'd have that $1k in your pocket and I'd be bringing that bike home!

#16 ·
imported post

By burping the baby I mean these old girls won't suck the antifreeze down from the overflow to fill their own air locks. You pretty much have to pull the false tank, remove the radiator cap (while you have it off, may as well replace it since the springs tend to weaken), fill it, run it to warm, and keep topping it off until it's absolutely full. Then reassemble.

Takes a little time and patience, but any time you open the cooling system, it needs to be done.

When you say heating up, where is the needle landing? If it's not hitting the red, it's not hurting anything.

Also, somewhere around here I have a good working tach from an 82 or 83 (I don't remember which) that I'd be willing to part with pretty cheap.

Hey Luv2, you looking for a Hondaline fairing? I got one of those in pretty good shape too.

Mike

#18 ·
imported post

tim_fellows wrote:
will try this after work. i did not know the radiator has a cap. so if i pull the false tank off i should see it?
Yes, you will see it, you can also see it if you pull the air filter out but can't get to it that way to remove it. You'll have to remove the fairing lowers on each side to see the 2 10mm bolts on each side of the front of the false tank and remove them. I find it easier to do it that way. Also the seat has to come off to get to the 2 rear 10mm bolts for the false tank removal.

#20 ·
imported post

I would say that with not knowing where the radiator cap is, you didn't burp the baby at all.

Yes, once you pull the false tank (pull the seat, two bolts at back of tank, pull the fairing lowers, two 10mm bolts facing you about mid-fairing), if you look along the frame down tube on the right (as you're sitting on it) side you'll see it.

I recommend taking it down to NAPA and spending $5 to replace it.

While you're at it, make sure you use silicate free anti-freeze.

Burp the baby, and your heating problems should be solved.

Mike

#22 ·
imported post

SB in SC wrote:
If I could get ScottHOhio to go and getthis onefor me, I'd buy it today!:cheeky1:

...but I bet he won't.;)
Don't be too sure I wouldn't... :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

It would cost you a bit more though.

#23 ·
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . Please do take some time to try and work out the issues with your bike . They truly are a nice bike .

From your post I suppose this is your first goldwing . To remove the false tank There are several steps . Some already mentioned . Let me add one more step. The seat will need to be removed as previuosly mentioned . To remove the seat though you need to open the saddle bags . About half way on the bags side closest to the seat , you should find a semicircle cut out . It may be hidden by the lid gasket . This is the place to insert the wrench need to remove the bolts (one per side ) (allen bolts on the 83 note sure about yours). Then slide the seat back and lift it off.

#24 ·
imported post

well the burp seemed to work. i havent taken her out of the garage really yet to ride since ive been drinkin and wrenching, but when i fired her up she seemed to keep the temp stable. a big change from before! the line from the res to the radiator became disconnected. im sure thats what caused this mess. with a couple other endeavors i wanna get done i cant tie up all of our spending money on me so i will still sell it. i will ask for $200 more dollars. as long as i can verify the overheating was the fact that the line came undone. if not i will still sell for my origianal price. i figure if she runs fine with no overheat she is worth $200 more. especially with the trailer, and everything i have. i wish i could pots all of the pics i could. does everyone think its fair for $200 more if she runs fine?

#25 ·
imported post

tim_fellows wrote:
for parts or fix. over heating. removed thermostat and thst not the problem. located in yuma az. paint on the bike is rough. trailer paint is bad also. trailer has swivel hitch. also have chrome brake covers and huge rear light rack for bottom rear above hitch, and a slimmer for the upper back part of the bike.have 3 oil filters, old cb headsets, cb, original gw tool kit, extra old seat needs to be recovered, one of the computer modules, chrome radiator cover, driver back rest in pretty good condition. engine starts and runs great. 70 k miles. tach is shot. missing one side box cover. 99.9% complete bike. trailer is an actual goldwing trailer from what i know with honda and aspencade logos. if you are interested contact me for more detailed info and pics. $1000 and im pretty firm on that. i spent more but got myself in a little over m,y head on this bike and want to sell. hope to hear from someone who can use all this stuff. i have a lot of old wing stuff. contact me and we can get on the phone and i can tell you exactly everything i have and get you some pics. picture looks a bit better than in real life. cell phones do that. just dont wanna mislead anyone. she dosent look to bad, but the paint is rough.

tim
Tim,

have you sold you Aspencade yet? If not, Please PM me asap. I will take it off your hands. Say you are asking 1200.00 for it? Let me know asap. Please PM Me.

Thanks,

Nightrider1 Aka David

#26 ·
imported post

ok so tonight i found out what it really means to burp the baby. holy sheet! it took a while but when it happened it was like giving birth. since the resevior hose came off the radiotor neck and i took the thermostat out she had quite an air pocket. to anyone else doing this for the first time i have to say, tilt the bike from side to side and rev. you will know undoubtably when it happens. if you doubt, she hasnt burped! took her for a ride and shes a champ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.