Thread: Fork Leak Fixed
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
garyem

Year: 2002
Make: honda
Model: gl1800
Fork Leak Fixed

A few weeks I did rebuild on my forks bushing ,seals.And put a traxxion spring on big difference. Had 50,000 miles on the forks and bushing were pretty bad.
But anyway I been fighting a small oil weep and am thinking I will have to try putting some new seals in thinking maybe I messed the first new seals up .But then I came across this www.SealMate.net Thought I would give this a try .I got the seal mate .Cleaned the fork tubes up slide the dust seals up and ran the sealmate around the dust seals got some crab from them .Took shop towel cleaned up above the oil seal and did get a little stuff.I was going to clean these oil seals up to with the sealmate but I seem to be having a problem getting the sealmateto go down in so I give up..These were all balls oil seals and did seem to be tighter fit then OEM ones were .So I just took some WD40 and spray the heck out of the top of the oil seals to the point where it pooled in the top of the seals...Then I bounced the bike up and down a 6 to 8 times clean the the forks up .I did same thing again and cleaned up ..Now my forks been dry thank goodness
But the moral of the this story I put the seals in with a 1 1/2 PVC coupler and 2 in PVC above the forks to pound them in .I think with doing it this way some how I came some junk in my seals ..So next time this boy going to get a 45mm seal driver .That just me .
But then I found out after wards a independent bike shop said I could borrow his

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome