Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - 1987 GL1200 Fuel Petcock - I Found a Rebuild Kit ! ! !

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
WingMan71

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800, GL1200, GL1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
How does the o-ring fit the top?
The main body OD o-ring fits perfectly.

It is not a square profile o-ring like the original Honda o-ring, but a standard round profile o-ring.

It has a large enough profile so that it fits very tightly inside the body of the petcock when the valve top half its installed on is inserted into the body. It's a good tight fit and makes it a pretty stiff effort to rotate the valve from on to off. As the o-ring seats in with use, it will most likely loosen up a bit.

One other thing I learned is something that I suspected was correct. The main body OD o-ring will NEVER see gas unless the 4-hole gasket is leaking. If the 4-hole gasket is holding, no gas ever enters the main valve housing. Gas is either blocked off (OFF position) or sent through to the carbs (ON position), but gas never leaks internally into the petcock body unless the 4-hole gasket fails. The big main valve body o-ring is basically a fail-safe device to prevent gas from pouring out of the valve and onto the engine should the gasket spring a leak.

Bob
2006 Arctic White GL1800
1987 Black/Grey GL1200 Aspencade
1976 Special Candy Maroon GL1000 LTD
U.S. Navy SWO (1967-1976)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome