Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - 1987 GL1200 Fuel Petcock - I Found a Rebuild Kit ! ! !

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
WingMan71

Year: 2006
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800, GL1200, GL1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike...and Dennis View Post
Interesting. Never thought of it that way but it seems feasible.

I have a couple spare units so I will be putting a kit in one of them soon.

For the space left because the gasket is smaller, couldn't you simply put a o-ring in there to fill the gap? Looks like one the same size as the one supplied would fit .
Dennis,

No, do not try to wedge an o-ring in there around the 4-hole gasket.

First, there is no need for it. The gasket is held very firmly in place in the valve body by the raised edges around each of the four holes. It sits in there tight as a duck's butt!

Second, if you do try to wedge an o-ring in there around the 4-hole gasket you run the risk of losing the seal of the 4-hole gasket and the valve will leak. Reason: any o-ring you put in there might be just a tad thicker than the 4-hole gasket. If it is, it will prevent the proper pressure from being applied to the sealing edges on the gasket when the valve is reassembled, and you'll get a leak. If it's too thin, it might wiggle around in place and end up causing the same problem.

The 4-hole gasket sits in there just fine without any other assistance. It seals and doesn't leak.

Bob
2006 Arctic White GL1800
1987 Black/Grey GL1200 Aspencade
1976 Special Candy Maroon GL1000 LTD
U.S. Navy SWO (1967-1976)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome