Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - 1984 GL1200 Standard - new issue

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
macvit7906

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: Gl1200 Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbranth View Post
I hear a lot about stators bound to fail. My 1970 CB750 has 60,000 miles on it and the stator works fine (with an Oregon MC Parts reg and rec). I've had no end of charging problems with the '75 GL1000. I've run all the tests, consulted with a friend who's an electrical engineer and ALWAYS the problem was a melted connector.
Although my advice is more-or-less worthless and I don't know how your electrics compares with mine, here it is: Chuck the Honda regulator and rectifier (in your neighbor's yard if you can throw them that far). Get on ebay and find an FH008EE regulator/rectifier from a CBR600RR and hook it up using Anderson Powerpole Connectors, the 30 amp version. On the '75 the FH008EE bolts to the battery holder without modification. The stock connectors cannot handle the current between the stator and the reg & rec. The Andersons can. I wired in Andersons at every connection involving serious current.
But it's happy hour and I most likely don't know what I'm talking about.

However, as Winston Churchill once said " Yes madam, but tomorrow I shall be sober". So I can furnish pictures and more facts if there's any interest.
completely melted stator connecter. Going to guess that's my problem.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome