Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - New guy, too tall for most bikes

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:35 PM
Rednaxs60

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
There are going to be some opposing comments about this, but I don't think any Goldwing makes a good first bike. There are a lot of good starter bikes in the 400 pound range. At 6'4" and a 32 inseam you are going to have problems with buffeting around the helmet on most windshield equipped bikes. One of the late model Triumph twins would be a reasonable place to start. I have my reasons for this statement and it is based on Safety. Just my 2
Agree with JamesPal. Lots to consider when taking on a GW. Where are you located, can you ride all year round to get enough experience to step up to a larger bike? Your safety is paramount, too large a bike at start can ruin a good riding career. In Ontario, Canada the Ministry restricts the size of your first bike on initial licencing - this is when you are new to riding, or if you gave up your motorcycle licence in the past and have to get a motorcycle licence again.

Take an initial licencing course, ride for a year, take an advanced course to further your skill set. After a couple of years look for a GW.

Don't rush it, this will also let you look for a good used GW.

Just a few thoughts on this. Good luck. Cheers

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome