Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Is It Time To Write An Obit For The Site?
View Single Post
post #42 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Wes Scott

Year: 1985
Make: Honda
Model: Aspencade
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolcraft4100 View Post
I am more of a lurker than a participant because my automotive/motorcycle/goldwing knowledge is limited to my personal experience which may or may not be correct. Whenever I have attempted to answer a question a better answer comes along later. And my comments are seldom responded to. But I'm cool with all that.
Seems like alot of the guys who post on this forum are experts and guys who have done multiple builds. Guys with cash to do cool stuff and customize. I think (or assume, or imagine) that you venerable rider/wrenchers are not being replaced by younger guys who are developing the skills and cred that you guys have.

Another observation is that you guys really stress troubleshooting and diagnosing mechanical and ridability issues. Seems like alot of guys just want to pour in some seafoam or replace a part.
Guys who want to restore, ride and maintain a big adventure-touring bike may be a disappearing breed.
All of the above are just my personal thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolcraft4100 View Post
I did. And, typically, got no reply or acknowledgement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO430 View Post
What were you looking for? We're glad you're here.
Toolcraft was responding to John's request for lurkers to speak up.

He brings up one of the recurring problems with forums (and other groups that involve people). People who have been together for a long time get comfortable with each other and have a shared history. It makes it difficult for new people to become involved since they do not have the same background.

Another issue he brings up is status/expertise. How many times do people just wait for the expert to answer instead providing information? It is a natural tendency for people to let others who know more than they do answer questions so they don't risk being embarrassed. I have even seen responses to questions along the lines of "we have seen this before, one of the experts will give you the answer you need before long".

Spending more time on my wife's hobby than the wing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome