Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Fire Creek Ignition Cover Wanted

View Single Post
post #56 of (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Rednaxs60

Model: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition and 1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
I have been thinking about what to put in the new panel. I am thinking a voltmeter, USB connector, a heated clothing connector, and an outside temp gauge. Trying to stay with the one inch gauge/connector style. I was given two switch units (see attached) that fit onto the brake and clutch MCs so I don't have to install any switches, although when I get to the panel install (will be before June 26 because the bike is going north to Yukon/Alaska - four week trip) may change my mind on the switches as well.

I will be putting a fuse holder under the panel for the electronics. It's very compact and good for splitting a 15 amp circuit to suit lesser amp requirements. The last one I used I purchased from Eastern Beaver in Japan - expat Canadian. He has some very good products. See attached.

The electronics that will be on the bike for the trip north are cell phone - who leaves home without it, an inReach Explorer sat tracker - older model but new still in box for safety issues, lots of no cell phone coverage as you go north, and a Garmin GPS. May also have a car GPS on the back for Sonya to use so she feels more engaged in the trip as well.

The sat tracker will also come in handy around home and on Vancouver Island as there are lots of places that we ride that have no cell phone coverage. Our family and friends will be able to see our trip progress by logging into the Garmin site. Only have to use it once to pay for itself.

The Delorme Explorer is a nice little unit, was $200.00 CDN less than new Garmin Explorer plus and will do everything I want it to. Nice little unit, set it up last night. Had to purchase a monthly plan to set it up and activate the unit, but can suspend the service until I need it. This first month will allow me to use the unit and get used to it. Only negative issue with this sat tracker is the SOS function has been known to be inadvertently set off. Knowing this will safeguard against it.

This install will be done in conjunction with install of an auxiliary fuse block and some electrical wiring to suit my eccentric behavior.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Switches.JPG (108.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 3-circuit-fuse-mount.jpg (11.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Delorme Explorer.jpg (40.3 KB, 4 views)

"When writing the story of your life, Don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome