Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - 1997 Goldwing GL1500 Asp jerking again under load below 2,000

View Single Post
post #36 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
GoldwingA1500

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
I wouldn't recommend deleting the petcock, except perhaps for a test...

Petcock is rebuildable and parts still available... Or you could substitute with electric petcock valve, somebody posted a link to one, used in RV Aux Generator fuel systems...
I like the electric petcock idea, but I'll stick with stock. I haven't pulled the valve off yet (might do that today). But the way it's acting, I suspect the metal seal bushing is likely stuck and unable to slide in or out. It passes the vacuum pull test without losing vacuum pressure. But the valve itself is not shutting off the fuel when vacuum pressure is released. And so I suspect it is also not allowing full fuel flow as well, but only enough to allow the engine to run. Naturally under high RPM loads, more fuel is pulled through the valve. But below 2,000 RPM, I think their might be a minor starvation issue. I read of another GL1500 owner who had the same symptoms as mine; jerks under 2,000 RPM and would often have a gassy smell after shutdown. Turns out it was his petcock. Even so, I still think I have a carb-float needle issue on the left carb since it appears to be the left intake manifold that sometimes gets flooded after shutdown. And I still want to remove the coils and wires to ohms test them, and inspect the coils for possible cracks. We are headed to D.C. in May for a Veterans rally so I want to make sure the bike is 100%.

Joe

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome