Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - GL1500 Starting / Lighting Problem - Help Please!!

View Single Post
post #38 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
chris301up

Year: 1997
Make: Honda Goldwing
Model: 1500 SEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing52 View Post
Chris,
There is a real easy no nonsense backyard battery test. Connect your voltmeter to the battery and set to DC volts. With the voltmeter connected try to start the bike. Does your voltmeter read 10 volts or better while the starter is cranking? If not you either have a starter issue (not likely) or the battery is junk. Voltage in and of itself is inconclusive. If the battery reads 13.2 volts at rest and drops to 7 volts while cranking under load, it is no good. If the battery reads 13.2 volts and 10.5 volts while cranking under load the battery is not the issue. The question is how does the battery stand up to a load. Static voltage does not mean much.
Redwing. I have just refitted the battery and can tell you the multi-meter read 12.4 volts, which remained steady, whilst the bike was switched off. When I turned the key to the first position the reading dropped to around 11.5 volts, which I assume is due to the saddlebag lights illuminating? Under starting conditions the reading dropped to around 9.4 - 9.8 volts until the engine fired. Just though I'd post my findings. I've ordered another Motobat gel battery just as a matter of course!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome