Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Water leak under my 88'

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:19 PM
ALEX BERECZKY

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Taylor View Post
My bike has sat more than usual during this winter. I've noticed a small amount of water under the bike. It does this while stationary. I took it to a local dealer and they seem to think it's a head gasket leak. It would be expensive to pull this apart and they don't want to do it anyway.
Any thoughts on this? I don't take long trips. Only 2 to 3 hours locally around Dallas/Fort Worth on weekends.
The bike runs perfectly and isn't overheating.

Anyone have any luck with stop leak products like Bar's Leaks?

Thanks,
Rick

There's no way to tell the Source, without pulling the tupperware and searching around for the leak while the engine is running.
I've fixed a half-dozen such leaks on my 1990 & 2000, and can tell ya that the location they emerge from is often quite different than where they start.
Best thing to do is to remove the side tupperware, and the Fan Housings... then run the bike while sticking your nose inside with a GOOD flashlight... you'll typically find the leak by the time the engine warms up.

Until you do that, then don't even consider Bar's Leaks or similar... as you might be trying to "Plug a loose hose clamp", or similarly poorly suited solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome