Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Adaptive Cruise Control - It's time

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Pure Texas

Year: 1991
Make: Goldwing
Model: SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpay42 View Post
FYI That demonstration video was faked. 2 Major Issues:

1, No where near enough nose dive for full emergency braking.
2, The dummy car is fabric and foam, not viable to the radar. The fact that it reacted at all shows that the pedestrian detection worked, it visually detected an obstacle and made efforts to reduce the impact. Thats all the system is meant to do.

Thats a lot more then auto pilot would do. Auto Pilot only keeps a plane level and at the same altitude and speed. No auto braking or object detection.

As for ACC on a motorcycle the difficulty would be sudden angle and height changes durring cornering. It is likely much harder to implement then a car where it has a mostly fixed height and angle. I would suspect we wont see it until the visual based ACC is able to function independently of radar. A video feed can be modified on the fly to adapt to the bikes sensor position changes.
Interesting senecio,I was in West Texas driving my semi in the passing lane and another vehicle in the right lane at around 500 feet,the road was making a long sweeping turn to the left and the adaptive cc on my truck was shooting a straight line on sight,my truck saw the vehicle and started downshifting and braking,fortunately I knew what was happened and tapped the brake to disengage the cc.so the system isn’t perfect but does the job.

Love chasing white lines but they are difficult to catch.Hate drivers with no STOPLIGHTS.

1968 Kawasaki Avenger
1969 H1 Kawasaki
1975 1000
1985 LTD
1982 1100,STANDARD
1991 ST 1100
1991 SE Goldwing.
1995 BMW R 1100RS

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome