Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Car tire wont set bead on 84 GL (sigh)
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
MICK MACK

Year: 84
Make: Aspencade
Model: GL 1200A
Car tire wont set bead on 84 GL (sigh)

I so wanted to have it work.... dish soap/GOOP on the tires bead, 90 PSI, in the sun to warm up where it is almost too hot to touch and... ~1/4 of the bead will NOT seat. U tube video showed it would, with used tire, but why put a used tire on something that is such a chore to get on/off the bike with all the Tupperware?

guy on U tube video was BRAVE... beating on the tire with ax handle with 90PSI in the tire to get it to seat???? that didn't do anything, they just let it sit with 90 PSI in the tire and came back in 20 mins and it was seated? lucky them. tire shop wouldn't even put ANY air in it, but the beads started to seat right away, that was good and was hopeful that it would seat all the bead... but it didn't. I will let it sunbathe one more day and then I suppose I will chalk it up to "lessons learned"?

I only do it cuz the Shinko 230 Tourmaster lasted 5 yrs with min mileage, tread started to come unglued from cord. I know that 5 yrs from DOT stamp is realistic safe end of a tires life; but I have some 2003 tires on the car that are still pretty good... sidewalls are drying out/cracking a little (TIRE SHINE "fixes" that), but tread is good and tread is still attached to cord. 55-60 MPH is fast enuf on tires like that for vehicle that goes ~100 miles a month.

point being... car tires, to me, wud be the logical choice for ppl that don't want to mess with the rear tire... for a long time and the WEIGHT on the bike/RIDER. Shinko Tourmaster 230 was rated for ~1100# and it came apart, I have kenda Cruz tire... its weight limit is ~800??? the bike itself weighs ~800#. nice looking tire and all, but 800# wt limit? of course the e bay description had all kinds of SUPERFLOUS information... but NOT the WEIGHT CAPACITY OF THE TIRE?

if I cld find a machinist with a lathe to machine the rim down to car tire size, and it wouldn't cost too much, I wud have the wheel machined for car tire. how much to take off and where??? safety inner bead cut down? whole rim machined down... 1/16"... 3/16"? put a placard on the glove box lid that reads, "MC equipped with CAR TIRE, HANDLING IS EFFECTED, BE CAREFUL TIL U FIGURE OUT ITS HANDLING QUIRKS. WHEEL MACHINED FOR CAR TIRE, DO NOT mount MC tire on the back of this bike" for next owner...if there is a next owner.

back brake cylinders were STUCK too, no wonder the brake pads were lasting forever. slight pitting in the cylinder bore/chrome hardfacing flaked of in a few small places. got new/used caliper off e bay from 9x GL, same kind as 84 GL. of course will rebuild the caliper/sanded pistons with 2000 grit sandpaper, new piston seals as brakes are kinda nice to have.

anti seize on everything, sliding pins, spring in back of pads, bolt holes.... but not on the pads... if I can help it.

I hung the rear hose above the master cylinder as I read somewhere that if get air in the... proportioning valve? it is a bear to bleed the system. 1" bore plastic farm syringe to suck the fluid out of master cylinder, so don't run old nasty fluid thru the system, and clear plastic hose to suck the fluid thru the line from master cylinder to rear caliper. Teflon tape on bleeder screw threads so don't suck air past threads on bleeder screw. even the caliper I got off newer bike (with 25,000 miles) seemed to have TIGHT fitting pistons in caliper... and lots of brake material on the pads like they weren't working that well, or rider just used front brake? assumption would be ppl use foot pedal brake for slowing/stopping ~99% of the time.

I use front brake (weight shift to front of bike)... and I had my suspicions that the rear brake was just an ornament from LOTS OF pedal movement, not the ... 1/2" or so that a person would expect for the brakes to be applied. im sure master cylinder is next when pushed the master cylinder piston rubbers thru the rust at the end of the stroke of the master cylinder and it chewed up the master cylinder piston rubbers in rusted bore master cyl? watched U tube MotoGP riding instructor tell the class, "forget about that rear brake" (cuz if it locks up... high side?). and those riders are "carrying" the rear tire into turns so back tire isn't going to do much braking when it is in the air.

FOLLOWING DISTANCE ... a block in town and a mile on the highway, NOT "nutt to butt" at any speed so can be the FIRST ONES TO THE ACCIDENT. too old and busted to be anymore old and busted. That's all I have to say abt that, Forrest, Forrest Gump.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome