Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Rear brake pedal gone soft - fixed ...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
CrystalPistol

Year: 1997
Make: Honda
Model: '97 GL1500SE/ '98 Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Rear brake pedal gone soft - fixed ...

Or so it seems.

I have both a '85 GL1200A and '97 GL1500 SE (that is a trike), I know they have very near the same rear brake master cylinder. Due to a health issue that I've been dealing with, both have sat.
The Trike did get ridden some in Summer 2017, the 1200 maybe moved in yard but on the road, Sept 2016 was her last ride. I knew back then, likely be a good long spell before I'd get to ride either so I dosed their fresh gas with double dose of Sta-Bil marine fuel saver and ran the carbs dry when last ridden so not worried there.

Well, I have been checking brake & clutch levers and their pedal feel ever so often, and Trike is all A- OK, but the 1200's rear brake pedal went soft. I ordered a kit, thought I was going to rebuild rear MC. Yesterday I decided time to try the tie down trick, I pumped the rear pedal slowly until it was as best as it was gonna get, and strapped it down with three wraps of a good bungie to lower leg of center stand, checked today, the rear brake is good now.

I did not expect success.

The brakes have been bled before, never had a soft pedal on either, fluid changed, etc., so I see no way for air to get in just sitting in a dehumidified, heated basement as they do. All I can figure is the cup seals of the piston in the rear MC maybe relaxed from lack of regular use, and simply failed to seal the whole stroke. Pumping up to get some pressure likely expands them cups, getting them re - acquainted with cylinder bore wall. That's my theory.

Anyway, tomorrow gonna do same on 1500 just as a preventative measure.

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )
GWRRA, NRA, & VSPA Life Member

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome