Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Heck with it !!!!!!

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:27 AM
AZgl1800
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkya View Post
That's a shame if the Carter NAPA P72190 pumps don't last. I was planning to get one when mine fails.
This particular pump is a low pressure, rotary vane pump, and it requires the stated flow rate to keep the motor cool...

it is not the motor's windings that burn up, it is the vanes themselves that get hot from friction against the pump's sidewalls when flow ceases.

once the vanes stick against the pump's wall, it can't be moved again, even with force.... I tried it to see what was happening.

the trick to to make darn sure, that the outlet hose is the correct diameter, and that no restriction ever occurs. that means using a Tee connector that allows the outlet line to be straight, or nearly so.

This has the caveat that you must never allow the gas tank to go completely dry..... However, the pump will be turned off the instant the engine quits anyway, it is controlled by the ECM, not the ignition switch.

NASR 12 in Galena, IL
June 18th, 19th and 20th of 2019

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ John

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome