Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Interested in upgrading your GL1500 stereo to something from the 21st Century?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
BLUTHUNDR31

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon/beige)
The pictures you see in my first post ARE my stereo/phone setup. It has all the features I spoke of in the first post, except for the SD card slot, and its not waterproof, , , but for less than $20 bucks, I didn't expect it to be.

If you remove the OEM stereo you end up with a big HOLE that nothing fits into, ,BUT there is a "blank-off" panel that fits seamlessly in that "hole". Once the hole is filled, there is 3" clearance between the panel and the top of the air filter housing at the front (closest to the dash). There is 3.5" clearance between the panel and the air filter housing at the point where the panel angles downward to the gas cap door.

NOW, , riders have the option of putting a 21st century AM/FM stereo with ALL the bells-and-whistles mounted on the panel facing upward for easy viewing. There are TONS of Marine/waterproof stereo's on the market that will fit. It was simple to remove (two small screws), the "face" from the "body" and mount the body on a metal place under the panel. The USB port charges my phone so I never have a dead battery, AND it plays MP3 music from a thumb-drive(stick). The Aux-in jack plays music from the iphone in the pictures too, and Navi info if needed.

Numerous brands of radio such as Jensen, Blaupunkt, Pyle, Dual, and Boss, and others, have an assortment of stereos that have everything a rider needs.

THE KEY IS FINDING SOMETHING TO FILL THAT UGLY HOLE AND FUNCTION AS A STEREO PLATFORM.

The panel will fit ALL GL1500's from '88-'00 since Mother Honda used the same centershelter every year.

The ability to plug-and-play to the handlebar controls depends on the stereo you select, and the ability to decipher the wiring to match the controls. A member at our "sister" site was successful and provided schematics, , for HIS radio/year bike. I don't know if it would work for EVERY stereo and year of GL1500. He used a Jensen waterproof unit with all the bells-and-whistles that is 2.5" thick so it would've fit on this panel perfectly. Unfortunately this panel was not available when he did his modification.

THIS PANEL IS NOW AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS. PM me if interested

Top_noRuler.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top_noRuler.jpg (54.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by BLUTHUNDR31; 04-15-2019 at 05:55 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome