Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - 87 Gl 1200 carb rebuilt with 102/35 jets

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 PM
JamesPal
Average Goldwing Rider

Year: 1972, 1981, 1985
Make: CB450, GL1100, GL1200I
Model: K5, Standard, Interstate
I agree with Dennis about not using the brass parts in aftermarket rebuild kits. I have been successful with the rubber parts. The only brass parts in the Keihin CV carbs that wear are the needles and the needle jets. The hole in the jet should be round and the needle will have flats when they are worn.

I struggled a lot to get my '85 running correctly. You can read about it here: https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...de-report.html

About the GL1200 carburetors. When they work they are marvelous. When they don't they are a pig. One thing about the mid 80s motorcycles, all the manufacturers were leaning the hell out of them to get them to pass emissions. Even with that, if the Keilins are correctly set up the bike will run well. I'm not sure about the '87, but my '85 was fitted with 35/108. Against the recommendations of the people on this forum I put 112 mains in. Once the problems with the intake, exhaust and carburetors were corrected the over sized jets were not required. All it did was make the bike smell like unburnt gas. Kind of like an old pre-emissions car. Not needed.

After reading this thread it is pretty clear the bike is running lean. You went a lot smaller with those jets. That would just make things worse. If it was me, I would buy a new set of jets from Jets R Us. Get the correct Keihin size. Then carefully look at all of the rubber and make sure the o-rings at the base of the intake runners are good. Keep us posted.

Jim Palmer
Current rides:
\'85 GL1200I Garage Find
\'81 GL1100 Std
\'72 CB450K5
My \'81 Restoration:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome