Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - GL1500- Do I have an OverCharging Issue

View Single Post
post #22 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:12 AM
redwing52

Year: 1999
Make: GL1500 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverWinger View Post
Automotive electronics are spec'd "nominally" at 13.8V (14 really) and not 12 volts, so you are only 1.3 volts over when reading 15.1 volts. Sensitive low voltage internal circuits will have built-in voltage regulation which is necessary because the input voltage can vary so much. Your electronics will tolerate up to 17 volts all day long.... and if your voltage is THAT high you DO have a problem.
I wonder if Denver or John would explain the floating ground thing. I think I sort of understand it but certainly not very good.
To get started I will tell you what I think and it could be wrong. I know when the alternator spins it makes AC in the form of a sine wave. If the sine wave was in sync with the bike (would this mean it is non*floating?) one half of the sine could be used and one half would be wasted. Does a floating ground make it possible for the sine to actually be shifted to be more positive? So,,,,even when the alternator sine has switched direction and is headed down, some of that wave is still more positive than the bike. Therefore more than half of the sine can be rectified and used to charge the bikes battery. Is any of this right? I know electronice use a lot of floating grounds on cars and trucks. Seems like they use them on a lot of reference signals. Am I even close?

Mike

Worked on the "big rigs" for 45 years now just riding my Wing whenever I can. Gets cold in Wisconsin.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome