Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - 95 GL1500SE Restart Problem

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 12:32 PM
CrystalPistol

Model: 1997 GL1500SE/Lehman GTL Trike
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signdude8771 View Post
My '95 GL1500SE has always cold-started instantly. Amost before you could get your thumb off Start button.

However, beginning late last Fall, the bike began giving me problems with starting after a ride long enough to bring it to normal operating temperature.If, after turning it off, I were to return a short time later and try to restart it, the starter motor would spin rapidly for 5 to 10 seconds or more and eventually the motor would begin to sputter and finally start. On a couple of occassions it just ran the battery down without starting at all. Edit: The spinning starter sounds exactly like the Kill Switch is in the Kill position. There is no sound that the bike's motor is turning over.
I read the whole initial post, I just didn't quote it all.

Judging by your bold text and the part I bolded in red above, it seems to me that the starter clutch is OK likely, a free spinning starter under no load and a starter spinning a non starting engine are two very different sounds. In other words, sounds to me like the bike engine is turning over, it's just not starting. A starter under no load also draws very little current compared to one under load.

The fact that it starts so fast cold and not so well "hot", makes me think the choke or enrichment is setup too far rich (think: "choke on"). Even if a warm day, mine need a little choke when the engine is cold, but "leap to life" with no choke applied once warmed up.

You have considered choke setting I guess?I only asked as it reads as if you maybe once set the choke, and never kicked it off with thumb. A 1500's choke enrichens fuel mix, it doesn't choke off air intake. A 1500 will run with choke fully applied, but use more fuel and be hard to start when warm, easily flooded when warm, and start OK when cold.

How is mileage?

1997 GL-1500 SE / 1998 Lehman GTL Trike
...(Candy Spectra Red )

"Make Courtesy Your Code of the Road!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome