Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - O ring oil leak after installing new Alt.

View Single Post
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:17 PM
ALEX BERECZKY

Model: GL1500, GL1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWilly018 View Post
Still fighting with this problem. About to pack in this riding season lol. New o ring and still leaks. Torqued to 22 ft/lbs as specs and broke bolt. Took alt off once again and got broken bolt out and got new ones and put in again. leaked again today. So sitting in garage with cardboard under. I am now doubting my abilities to fix it. Do they need to be torqued? What am I missing?

22 ft/lbs sounds right, but I'm amazed that your bolt broke while aiming for that spec... I presume that a Higher Torque must have been applied by accident.
Something I've learned is to "Calibrate my hand" prior to using the torque wrench "for real"; Meaning, I use a Vice to clamp onto the end of the torque wrench (or socket that it's holding), and apply force until the Set Torque is attained via the 'Click'... this way I have a rough FEEL for how much effort I should be apply later when installing the whatever into the bike... eg If my "feel" tells me that I'm at or exceeding that amount, then I know to stop and try again; perhaps verifying that the wrench is set correctly.

Also, another recent lesson for me is to use "Hydraulic Assembly Lube" when installing O-rings... It prevents Tearing of the O-rings, as otherwise can occur when assembling stuff in a Dry condition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I void warranties

KJ6QFZ
Dark Side #590

GL1500, 1990SE, 220k miles
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Austone 175R16, 50psi

GL1800, 2003, 60K miles [following virginity reconstruction]
Front: Bridgestone Battlax BT45, 41psi
Rear: Pirelli Winter Snowcontrol Series3, Run Flat, 41 psi

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome