Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Please help me restore this old GL1200

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Fatboy123

Year: 1984
Make: Honda
Model: GL1200 Standard
Garage
Please help me restore this old GL1200

Hello everyone and thank you for your time,

I've always wanted to own and work on my motorcycle but with two jobs, no place of my own and three kids I could never even dream it, my kids are almost grown now, wife has left, I still don't have a garage or a place to work, I live in an apartment here in Kuwait, so I need to do most of my repairs outside. I LOVE to do my own repairing, but I've never actually done any due to various restrictions.

After a long period of motorcycle inactivity, I stumbled upon this beat up 1984 GL1200 which the seller imported from america around 8 years ago and just left it under a tree, I've always loved the old goldwings and just bought it without any thoughts, I'm now kind of regretting my decision but I've decided to live with it, I'm getting very old and my dream of owning my own place doesn't seem to want to happen, so I will just accept my situation and will do the repairs road side and bear the hardship.

I need some hand-holding from you guys, just a nudge in the right direction and I will do the rest.

First on the agenda is just to get her running so that I can take it to the traffic department for registration and the paper work, the owner says that it was running when he bought it from states with 84,000 miles on the clock. So before I start changing timing belts, tires and the major stuff, I just need to get it running.

So what do I need to do first? buy a new battery, drain and refill the fuel, check the oil and water and try to start her up?
once warm, drain and change the oil and be done with it?

Zero parts are available here so everything I need to order online, is there a preferred website where I can buy all I need? can anyone list some common parts which I should buy right off the bat for future use? as it's difficult getting them to Kuwait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abd2480a-aff8-4fea-bacd-a0221be61f71.jpg (128.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 5964d076-30c0-46e5-9911-55ffef7ff4f4.jpg (124.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 3ebb8b02-97ed-4e9f-879a-6c25af4927b5.jpg (109.0 KB, 25 views)

1984 GL1200

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome