Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Fix or sale for parts?

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:41 PM
SidecarMike

Year: 1996
Make: Aspencade
Model: 1996 Aspencade with a Friendship 3 sidecar & 1994 Special Edition
Garage
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnaWingAndaPrayer View Post
Well I would not fix the slave cylinder till I had it running again. If the battery was going flat as you were cranking, CHARGE it up . The 1500 needs a good strong battery . Drain and refill the fuel tank with fresh gas and add a strong dosage of Sea Foam. Once charged turn on key, press start button with enricher (choke) on full. As the engine is turning over let off the start button and it may fire at that point. It's a problem of the ignition not getting full power while cranking. Thats one possibility for you can try with out getting to deep . If that gets it running we can help direct you to repair/replace the slave cylinder.

Another thought.... under the fuel door there is a vacuum operated fuel cutoff valve. You might take the valve out of service and connect the the fuel lines together just to be sure gas gets to the carbs. That is , if the electric fuel pump in the tank is working.
What he said. I have two 1500s, a 94 SE and a 96 Aspencade. In each case, if they set more than a week or two, they want to crank and crank but not fire. If I crank it for a minute or two, then walk away for 30 minutes or so, it fires right up when I come back. In each case, rebuilding the vacuum cutoff fixed it. I can now let one set all winter and it will still start in 10 or 15 seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190607_113527.jpg (132.8 KB, 8 views)

SidecarMike
A motorcycle is like a cast iron skillet, it mellows with age, wash it and you destroy years of seasoning!
The Mistress, 1996 Aspencade & Sidecar 1997 Valkyrie, the Borderline Outlaw

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome