Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

tire valve stem

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Ed M 
#1 ·
I would like to replace my tire valve stem without removing the rear wheel. Are there any procedures for that? Is it possible to break the tire bead on the bike and move the tire bead enough to do that job?

#2 ·
I would say it is possible but it will be difficult. After you let the air out you will need to break down the bead . I would think it would be preferable to only breakdown one side. You would need several large "C" clamps. I would put a 1X4 on one side of the wheel, across the sidewall and rim area. The other side of the "C" clamp I would position on the sidewall as close as possible to the rim. I think I would try to use 3 clamps. One at the valve stem and one 4-5 inches to either side . Slowly begin to compress the evenly. Hopefully only one side gives way and you can compress far enough to reach in to remove/insert the new stem.
Thats the way I would attack this. I hope it works for you . Others may be along with more suggestions.

#5 ·
I did it once on the 1500 trike front wheel when I needed it done soon (was going on group ride next morning and night before was checking tires, 90 degree stem just come out of rim), … used a piece of 1x4 on left side of rim about a foot long, 16" long maybe … then on the side I wanted to break loose, used two smaller blocks against the right side tire sidewall, used two large C-clamps … one about 6 inches each side of stem. Applied a bit of pressure to each alternating, soon the right side bead popped off the rim and I was able to pull a new stem in.
Maybe just luck, hardest part was getting clamps and blocks in place.

Since then, have put all metal stems in. I switched both stems to metal on the 1200 I had using same basic idea, blocks to either keep clamp to rim or tire without damaging them.

#6 ·
Breaking the bead is easy.
The rear tire only shows about 1/3.
Remounting that bead is not going to be fun since it almost always tries to walk off as you work around one direction.
Mayyybeee use a Zip-Tie and a rock to hold that bead in place? It still needs to clear the swing arm.

I have never done this but sounds plausible.

#9 ·
Breaking the bead is easy.
The rear tire only shows about 1/3.
Remounting that bead is not going to be fun since it almost always tries to walk off as you work around one direction.
Mayyybeee use a Zip-Tie and a rock to hold that bead in place? It still needs to clear the swing arm.

I have never done this but sounds plausible.
You aren't trying to get the bead off the rim, just break it's seal and push the one side over to center of rim. You're just squeazing the tire, pinching it like … and only in the area near the stem. For me, it worked best from the left side, leaving right side bead seated on rim …. maybe because I'm right handed?

#10 ·
I did manage to break the tire bead and was successful in replacing the valve stem. I am with a challenge to get bead reseated even though the bead was only pushed in about 10 inches of the circumference. With the bike still on double stand, I was using a long wrecking bar to pry up on the tread portion to move the bead onto the rim bead area. I got called away so I did not confirm success on the tire mounted well enough to inflate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.