Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Tent Camping...
Thread: Tent Camping...
View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Dusty Boots
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

If you plan on sleeping 2 in it, get at least a 3 person tent.

Head the advice CJ gave about being 'tent bound' during inclement weather!!!

I use a 4 man dometent and it packs well, with the use of a compression stuff sack. Tent bodies that attach with clips erect easier/quicker than ones with 'sleeves'.

2 doors/vestibules allows for undisturbed exit/entrance when the midnight 'call' strikes. Vestibules provide additional covered storage space

If I plan on traveling fast n light, I use my 42oz, 2 man Tarptent

I find a dome tent gives the best 'overall' usablespace. Look for one with as vertical a wall as you can, as opposed toslanting/sloping walls.

I always carry a lightweight tarp to greatly expand my 'living space' and to provide extra shelter for cooking, for a minimum weight/space penalty.

If looking for a sleeping pad/mattress, the 8" 'air beds' are nice and comfy but will be cold to sleep on and requires a pump of some sort to inflate. Some like the Thermarest self inflating pads(I did too) but if you are a side sleeper, they will give you sore shoulders/hips. Look at getting an insulated air mattress/pad, such as a POE Ether insulated mat(2 1/2" thick -1st choice- more durable), or a BAIAC pad( 2 1/2" thick, 2nd choice - some history of leaky valves). Both of these pads require you to inflate them by mouth, but I find it typically takes 12 - 14 good breathes to fully inflate. (2 minutes)

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome