Forum Recomendations - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Year: 1989
Make: Honda
Model: GL1500
Forum Recomendations

I wanted to see if any thought has been given to having separate sub forums for each goldwing generation? Looking through the tech forum is cluttered for someone like me that only has one or two different models. I am not much help on a 70's model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:43 AM
mod-erator

Model: 2010 GL1800
Garage
It has been discussed several times and the downs always outweigh the ups. I personally don't like having them all divided. It helps to read all the posts, you might learn something that will come in handy later.
corkya likes this.

With no God over the state, the state then becomes not the defender of liberty but the definer of liberty.

NRA endowment life member
Wild Rhino Arkansas chapter
2010 1800 pearl yellow

If I disagree with you it's simply because you're wrong.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
as Dave just said, many discussions on this in the past.

we once, had a poll of the members, and they chose to leave it like it is.
why?
because owners of newer bikes still remember how to fix your problems on your '75 85' 95' '05 model bikes.

if we put it all into single model forums, you and 1 other person would be the only one looking at your problem.

and since you are asking, are you volunteering to search through 20 + years of posts and sort them all into the correct Model Year category?

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:35 PM

Garage
But, you have not been ignored, I took the time over 15 years to keep an index of most of the threads I saw that were "important" ( meaning I happened to notice them )

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...rum-index.html

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...-c-forums.html

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Virtual Categories would give users both options. Using tags to sort by models but all the posts actually exist under the parent and can all be viewed exactly as they are now. I moderate several forums and I have developed a few, I would be happy to filter existing posts into tags although its not necessary needed it would be good for archival searching.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

IIRC tags are not available by default in VB but they are pretty easily added.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:58 PM

Garage
the stuff you are talking of, would have to be handled by our Administrators, and they are a corporation called VerticalScope.

they do a good job of maintaining the forum in its' current configuration. but, they are now currently in the process of replacing our forum software with a new version, which version or brand, has not been decided.... what they do effects all of their forums that they own, because their policy is "one size fits all" so that the IT gurus don't have to think outside the box, to maintain us.

I agree the MetaTags would be nice, but we did not start out that way, and I have not seen anyone volunteering to do so prior to you.

Thus far, they have done a very good job in agreeing, and maintaining that promise to keep our original format so it does not look strange to the old timers.
that is the original "Yellow Classic Skin" ...... you can look at the different skins by going to the bottom left corner of any page, and selecting a new skin.

I will not use any skin except Classic, period.

~ John

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpay42 View Post
Virtual Categories would give users both options. Using tags to sort by models but all the posts actually exist under the parent and can all be viewed exactly as they are now. I moderate several forums and I have developed a few, I would be happy to filter existing posts into tags although its not necessary needed it would be good for archival searching.

give me a call and help me understand where you are going?

918.....613.....9.....5...... thareee ........ zarow .....

~ John

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/thread_tagging

F150forum.com has them enabled but they are rarly used. I think you can make them required. There is a lot that can be done also that make searching much easier. Besides having the Model as a tag, you could also have the system with an issue, for example electrical, Engine, chassis, suspension, etc. It becomes really useful if you also enable filtering. Which is a quick way to filter down to the tags you want to see.

Again, for example, I want to search for how to remove the tail light from my new 2008 GL1800. The problem now is not everyone types exactly gl1800. Some might just use 1800 or gl1800gen1 or they typo and write GW1800. With tags, I can select the GL1800 Gen1 tag and serach "Remove tail light" and get a much better refined list of threads.

I will give you a call after I get back from lunch.
AZgl1800 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:38 PM

Model: 1987 GL1200 Interstate 290,000 miles
Again, I'll tell you that you would hurt yourself with such a change. The Hyundai forum is partitioned like that and you may get one two or three responses from the members because there are so few who frequent any specific forum.

Why ain't we ridin'?

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Test Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page