Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1984 gl1200 -- NO IDLE without choke and 1 dead cylinder

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  hoofman 
#1 ·
imported post

Hello everyone, I just bought a 84 1200 interstate that will only run with the choke on. Cold, it idles at about 1000, then as it warms up it could reach 1800-2000. gently touch the throttle and it kills the moter, but if you snap the throttle a few times you can get it to rev very high. When its high (4-7k) you can release the choke and it will still run but a little choppy. If you get off the throttle it will die. The carbs have been rebuilt and Ive had the off to clean them, they look to be in great shape. Another problem is when idleing with the choke, my front left cylinder, under the clutch lever, is dead (unplugging the spark plug results in no change in rpms) I have tested all the electic system and it checks out good. If anyone has any ideas for me I would greatly appreciate it. It is killing me.

Ian

#2 ·
imported post

Hi iancianc & welcome to the forum! Try this for starters. Unscrew your plug boot off the plug wire that has no spark. Swap it with a plug boot on the oher side of your motor. If the dead cylinder moves to the other side, your plug boot is toast. They have resisters inside them & sometimes they short out. If this is the case, replace all of them. When you unscrew the boots, look at the wire end for corrosion. If you see any, trim the wire by 1/8th of an inch to expose clean center core.

As for your carbs, were they cleaned by a bike mechanic? The float levels can alter your rich or lean settings if they are not right on.

Look carefully for a vacuum leak which will also cause some of your problems.

You must also sinc your carbs or your wing will run like crap!!!

Keep us posted, We will get you sorted out!

#3 ·
imported post

Thanks for the reply, That cylinder does has spark but it doesnt affect how the bike runs. The wires and boots have all the correct resisence specs.

I dont know who cleaned the carbs but i know that they are clean with no residue or crud in them. But i know that there are always tiny passages that can gum up. i was thinking about getting the randaks master kit and totally redoing them.

I think all the vacuum lines are good but are there any specific trouble spots?

I cant sync the carbs because i cant even get the bike to idle correctly.

Then all of a sudden I dont have any clutch response. I pull the lever back and its all free play. I got a master cylinder rebuild kit and did it. Cleand the slave cylinder and bleed the system. But it still wont disengage the clutch. When I pulled the slave out, there was powder almost like saw dust that came out with it. when running you can put it in gear and it spins the wheels but you have to turn it out to shift out of gear. I bleed it very well i think, it was working but only disengaging with the lever 3/4 pulled in, then all of a sudden it stoped.

Sorry to keep adding more things to my list of problems but they keep coming up.

#4 ·
imported post

I would check the float levels before going to the trouble of rebuilding the carbs. A quick check with the carbs on the bike, shut the fuel off, find some kind of small tray that you can get under the carb drains and drain them one at a time and measure the amount of gas in each. I don't know for sure on a 1200 but an 1100 will have 1 1/2 oz (45cc) in each when the floats are set right. I would think a 1200 would be similar.
On the clutch, does the lever have a good feel to it after bleeding?

#5 ·
imported post

Is the dead cyl. a new problem? 1 dead cyl. can cause the problems you are having! I had a simular problem on another bike, turned out to be a bent valve! Check for compression in that cyl.

#6 ·
imported post

Ok, Im gonna go and try to measure the fuel in the bowls. The clutch has no pressure even after bleeding it, the lever i mean, has no pressure. It makes enough pressure to move the slave cylinder when i had it out so im wondering if there is wrong internaly in the clutch.

I did a compression test and three cylinders have 125psi and 1 has 100. The dead cylinder is one thathas 125 though. I have a feeling that the carbs are the main issue but im still trying other things.

Thanks so much already for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.