1983 Goldwing Standard - GL1100 - Black on Black - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2007, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

That is the bike in my avatar pic.

Here's a list of the parts I've replaced last summer and this summer:

Front and rear tires, front and rear brakes, seat cover, starter, driver floor boards, passenger floor boards, heel/toe shifter, harley bagger pipes.

This is for the complete bike only, won't part-out.

Also comes with some extra parts: two different sets of highway/crash bars, one with pegs, and the pair of straight pipes it had when I bought it. These are way too loud for me, that's why I put on the bagger pipes. One of the turn-downs was lost off the straight pipes.

I also have a clymer manual that will go with the bike.

This is a great opportunity for an engine mechanicto get a great old bike at a great price. I'm asking $700, which is less than I have in all the extra parts I've bought for the bike in blue above.

I live in Northeast Oklahoma, 74338

Rick Thurstenson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustang Send a message via MSN to mustang Send a message via Yahoo to mustang
Post imported post

what is wrong with the engine

k. wilkin
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

The engine knocks when it is lugging, at the low end of the throttle range. It has done that since I owned it. I thought, from other posts, that it was characteristic of the GL1100. This mechanic says I've spun a couple of bearings in the bottom end.

On the top end, I've got 90 psi on three cylinders, and 70 on one on the left side. The mech said I need 100 at least, so says the top end needs rebuilt, also.

Rick Thurstenson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

Did you test the compression with the throttle wide open? Can't get enough air into the cylinders unless you do that.

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I spoke with the mechanic this afternoon, and he stated that he DID NOT perform the compression test with the throttle wide open. I'm not sure what that might mean to you more mechanically-minded folks.

I've had a couple of lookers, but none with cash in hand.

Reminder: this bike starts at a touch of the starter, idles smoothly, and runs at about half power. I paid $1500 for the bike, and have installed over $900 in parts and accessories.

I'm only asking $700 (firm).

Rick Thurstenson
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 03:44 PM

Model: 1997 GL1500 SE
Post imported post

It means the cylinders didn't get enough air, and you get false low readings. Should be around 160 to 170. Personally, I think your mechanics evaluation is probably wrong. Does he work on lots of 4 cylinder Goldwings?The GL1100 likes higher RPM's and you can't expect the bike to run baby smooth in all RPM ranges.

Raymond

1997 GL1500 SE Pearl Sapphire Black
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM

Post imported post

If the bike starts as easily as you say, I am also suspicious of the mechanic's evaluation.

I'd take it to someone else that knows these bikes. You've got a bunch of $$$ into it, $30 for a compression tester doesn't seem like too much to spend if it can justify a higher asking price.

There is no better indicator of overall engine health than a compression test. Even if the cylinders are uneven, it could be a valve problem, which may be relatively easy to rectify. My Wing was making some horrible sounding bottom end noises until I did a good carb synch.

My $.02

[COLOR=GREEN]Endwell_Tim
81 GL1100I ---->>>> GONE!!!
90 GL1500 SE
"Opportunity is most often missed because it shows up in overalls, lookin\' like work..."
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 PM

Post imported post

Hey...show some bigger close up pictures of the bike in question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous bikes: 1980 CM400E, 1979 CB750K, 1993 Vulcan 750, 1992 Vulcan 1500, 1999 Shadow Ace 1100,1979 GL1000,2001 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100, 1983 GL1100 gone
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Current bikes: 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1600 and 1999 Honda XR200R, 1999 Triumph Sprint ST 955i, 2009 Honda CBF1000
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:08 AM
Village Whack Job...

Model: '81 GL1100 Interstate
Garage
Post imported post

Don't sell that bike.

I would say there is nothing wrong with that motor.

I had a horrible knocking sound from my engine that I was sure was a spun bearing. Turns out it was a bad coil!!!

You've got to much money invested to take a loss on it.

And your mechanic is obviously not good with GoldWings, he may be a good mechanic but he doesn't know GoldWings.

Before you give up on it get yourself a manual fromt he top of the Technical forum, buy a compression tester and set of carb synch gauges.

At the very least you can sell them with the bike if you have to.

Get those carbs synched before you go any further. The symptoms you describe scream out of synch carbs, at least to me. It wouldn't hurt to go over the ignition system too.

Check your plugs for any soot or "wetness" or any buildup. Then take a look at your igniters, they are under the fake tank on the left han side, a 10 mm bolt holds them both in place, pull the bolt and get a look at them if they look like this then chances are you've also got an ignition problem. The potting material should be flush with the edges of the metal housing. Now being in that condition doesn't mean tat the igniters are bad, just that something else created to much resistence in the ignition sytem and they overheated. they either work or they don't since the bike will run they work. You can refill them with high temp silicon found at any auto parts store. They generate a good bt of heat on their own.

If the igniters do look cooked out get a good look at your plug wires and you coils. Check the connections at the plug boots and at the coils. Look the coils overs for any irregualrities in the surface, bulges these may be very slight, cracks if you have cracks you have a abd coil, or stress liines they look like white lines or scratces in he surface of the coil.

By the way if you'ld spun a bearing...let alone a couple, that motor would be locked up in short order. Or at least that's what one very knowledgable prson said to me when I mentioned it.

With any luck there will be a forum member nearby to you who could ride by and take a look at it for you.

Either way I'm beting it is something in either the carbs or the ignition. Neither of which is wrth taking such a loss on the bike.

P.G.R. Member ID: 88374

Our Soldiers are what make us strong. Without them there would be no USA.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 07:44 PM

Post imported post

you might have bad piston rings in your motor thats what mine is doing and a mechanic at cycle world told me thats what was wrong with mine.

g-wing justin the young winger.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > For Sale/Wanted Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page