New Carb Sync Gauge Loaner Program!!! - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 04:02 PM

Post imported post

Hi there, I was lucky enough to find a Holly single carb. Manifold with a one barrel Holly for 132.00.. it was a bolt on Kit. I'm really happy with it so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Post imported post

ya I would like to no how that bolts up myself?
post #13 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Post imported post

Excellent! I am definitely interested. Now that Spring has settled in here in SE MN I'm ready to get the Wing in flying condition. Now to get to that magic 50 posts...

I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn\'t learn something from him.
-- Galileo Galilei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:27 AM

Post imported post

I am interested in the gauges as well

I got a bike finally. 1983 Interstate.
post #15 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Post imported post

Mysticfour wrote:
Quote:
Lol, could use this myself but don't have the 6 months required, guess I will hafta try to buy 1
Why by one when you can make your own.

1. One wooden yardstick.

2. Clear vinyl tubing to wrap around the yard stick with enough for a smooth curve at the bottom and enough to reach the green vacuum line on the left of the 1500 and the vacuum port on the right side.

3. One quart of transmission fluid to use in place of the mercury.

4. About eight white plastic ties to secure the tubing to the wooden yardstick.

Drill one hole at the top for hanging while using it and storing it.

Drill about four more holes the size of the plastic ties to secure the vinyl tubing to the wooden yard stick.

After securing the vinyl hose put transmission fluid in the clear vinyl hose. I put enough of it to bring it up to 29 on both side of the wooden yardstick.

It may take a while for it to get all the air bubbles out but they will come out. I just let mine hang over night with the leads for the vacuum ports above the wooden yardstick.

You can mount it on a 1X3 if you like but I just left mine the way it was.

I used it and it works great.

Of course you will not damage the engine ifit happenssucks in some of the

transmission fluid as it will just burn.

Make sure thesmooth curve with no kinksis at the bottom of the yardstick. That way the inches are easier to read.

Any questions just PM me or send me an email.

If I leave a place no better than it was when I came, then I have never been there.
post #16 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 PM

Post imported post

Here is the info from the link I used the picture didn't post. You can see what it looks like here: http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

The $1.55 Carb Syncronizer by Marty Ignazito
The objective of the vacuum measuring carb synchronizer is to see that the vacuum signals from both carbs are the same. It is the difference between the signals and not the actual signals we are interested in however. The Rotax two stroke engine shows a signal of about 6" of mercury at idle measured against the atmosphere at its test signal port and a difference of about 1/16th to 1/20th of an inch of mercury can be read easily by eye. If lighter liquids are used like oil this signal would read as about 97 inches of oil requiring a very tall manometer gauge. With a senstivity of some 16 times greater than a mercury manometer, an oil manometer only needs to look at the difference. By hooking each side of the manometer to each of the carbs we have a very sensitive tool for synchronization. A 1/20th of an inch of mercury difference would show up as about 13/16ths of an inch of oil on the oil manometer allowing for even finer adjustment than possible with mercury.

Attached is a photo of an oil manometer I made up with some cheap materials from the local Ace hardware store. I filled mine with air compressor oil since I did not have any two stroke oil around, but two stroke oil would be a better safety measure in the event of oil getting into a carb.

Here is the bill of materials:

12 ft of 1/8" ID clear PVC tubing $0.84

1 wooden yardstick $0.59

2 wire ties $0.12

For a total cost of $1.55 plus tax.

The tubing was taped to the yardstick with transparent packing tape. The wire ties were put thru the hole in the yardstick to secure the tubing on each side at the top. If desired a machinists or carpenters square and a pencil can be used to extend the 1/8" markings to both sides of the stick or the level of the oil on one side can simply be noted before testing begins since it must return to this point to be in balance. Fill with oil to about the 26 or 27 inch mark (36 at the bottom). You may have to leave the unit sit for a day or so to get all the bubbles out. If you are careful not to introduce air when filling this is less of a problem.

When in use with the engine running both lines must be connected, one to each carb. The oil will be sucked up and out of the manometer if only a single carb is connected and the other end is left open to the atmosphere.

This device is so simple and cheap to make, I thought it best to just tell everyone how to do it rather than try to make and sell them. Bing's claim that their $34.95 mercury device is the most accurate carb balancer regardless of price seems to ring hollow doesn't it? I will try this unit as soon as I get a chance. If any of you beat me to it, let me know how it works for you.

Marty

Prairie Skyhook
Marty Ignazito
13961E Co. Rd. 620N
Charleston, Illinois
61920-7831
217-348-1525
fax 209-796-4433
e-mail: [email protected]

If I leave a place no better than it was when I came, then I have never been there.
post #17 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 PM

Post imported post

Has anyone here tried the $1.55 route? Wonder if it works as well as it sounds?
post #18 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Post imported post

I had to spend more than $1.55 to make mine but it worked great.

post #19 of 100 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Post imported post

sounds good!

post #20 of 100 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 12:14 AM

Post imported post

This is such an awesome program...My Hat (head wrap) goes off to you all..Keep your shiny side up my friends
Wingswithattitude

WingsWithAttitude

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > For Sale/Wanted Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page