GL1500 Auxiliary Shifter Pivot For sale - Page 8 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 06:01 PM

Model: SL1500
Garage
Well I did it. Order the Shifter brace from Cyclemax. Took about half hour to 45 minutes to install with 2 yr old grandson helping. Was a little reluctant to jump on something that is to good to be true, based on experience. But this is one time that I did not get burned. Could not believe the difference this shifter brace made to my 1990 1500, love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2012
Make: Honda
Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydva99 View Post
Hello All
New to the site and will appreciate any advise.. I ordered a pivot shifter, I understand if you use a heal toe shift, you need a longer bolt to properly attach. I believe it was recommended 7/8 inch longer? Is this accurate and any thoughts on where I might get this bolt.
Thanks in advance
Any local hardware store. Thread is 8x1.25. If you asked when ordering, I would have included one at no charge.

Thanks cliff,
post #73 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 09:24 AM

Year: 1993
Make: Goldwing
Model: GL1500
Smile Aux Shifter Pivot

I just picked up my bike last night from my mechanic. He installed new tires , rear brakes , service check for the upcoming trip next week. But most important he installed the Shifter Pivot for me.This is my endorsement 100%++++ for this unit.

I went to his club meeting and he brought my bike to the meeting, three other 1500 owners were checking out my bike after the installation. He stated he was very impressed with the unit and how smooth the bike now shifts and I agree. It now shifts so positive without "searching" with your toe to get a good positive shift, it was kind of like waiting for the gears to engage.

What was really nice was I explained that I won a gift certificate from Cyclemax in the annual Steve Saunders drawing and used it to purchase the pivot shifter kit. Of course that was back in the winter but my main riding season is just now starting so the reason for the delay.

My mechanic is a one man operation and he has been working on 1200's and 1500's for years and really knows his stuff. He did a lot of engine splits to replace the gears and shifting forks as well as building some trikes so he knows his way around. When he pulled the rear wheel he called and said you need new bushings (106,000 miles), you can trust what he says so a quick call to Cyclemax and they were here in two days.

The Shifter Pivot Bushing sounds like some guys say when they read about, "it is too good to be true" but let me assure you it is exactly what it says it is. Thanks for a great product and an easy way to correct a problem with the 1500's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 AM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500 SE Trike
I just purchased a new to me GL1500 trike and this is the first accessory that I added to it, the first few days that I had the trike I keep catching neutral during my shifts and just thought it was me being new to the wing, after reading about the pivot I decided to buy one. It took me about an hour and a half to install since it was my first experience working on a wing but with a little patience and following the instructions it is quite easy to install. The pivot made a definite difference in the way the bike shifted, no more neutral hits while shifting and the shifts where crisp and quick just like my VTX and XR650, I highly recommend the shifter pivot.
post #75 of 116 (permalink) Old 07-27-2014, 02:41 AM

Year: 2000
Model: GL1500 SE Trike
I just purchased a new to me GL1500 trike and this is the first accessory that I added to it, the first few days that I had the trike I keep catching neutral during my shifts and just thought it was me being new to the wing, after reading about the pivot I decided to buy one. It took me about an hour and a half to install since it was my first experience working on a wing but with a little patience and following the instructions it is quite easy to install. The pivot made a definite difference in the way the bike shifted, no more neutral hits while shifting and the shifts where crisp and quick just like my VTX and XR650, I highly recommend the shifter pivot.
post #76 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
I could use some advice. I installed this shifter pivot and when the bike is cold it works very well. After it warms up shifts seem to change a little. This morning on my commute to work I noticed that the bike wouldn't shift into 1st until I was moving slowly. Then it went it fine. I also hit a couple neutrals when downshifting at stops.

Overall this has made shifts feel much more precise. When I first installed the shifter pivot it worked flawlessly and shifts were amazingly good. But there seems to be a change once the bike is at running temps. Could use some advice on how I can tweek this. should I let the bike get up to running temp them retorque everything? I kept torque modest. I tightened both the pivot and shifter pinch bolts at 9in lbs.

"riding is good therapy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #77 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer

Year: 2002
Model: 2002 GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails View Post
I could use some advice. I installed this shifter pivot and when the bike is cold it works very well. After it warms up shifts seem to change a little. This morning on my commute to work I noticed that the bike wouldn't shift into 1st until I was moving slowly. Then it went it fine. I also hit a couple neutrals when downshifting at stops.

Overall this has made shifts feel much more precise. When I first installed the shifter pivot it worked flawlessly and shifts were amazingly good. But there seems to be a change once the bike is at running temps. Could use some advice on how I can tweek this. should I let the bike get up to running temp them retorque everything? I kept torque modest. I tightened both the pivot and shifter pinch bolts at 9in lbs.
I also have experienced this phenomenon of shifting being a bit more difficult ..Finding Neutral is sometimes a challenge as well - But if I release the clutch just a little bit it pops right in as it should so I can adjust my technique to accommodate the better overall shifting.
With 130,000 miles on my bike I have learned some habits from the old sloppier shifting that worked, that now need to be 'unlearned'

Currently in the stable
2002 GL1800 Pearl Orange
1983 Suzuki GS850 L
Previous Rides & Restorations
1996 GL1500 Aspencade Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade Spectra Red
1980 CX500 Custom Rattle Can Blue
1980 GL1100 Interstate
1978 CX500 Standard
1982 CX500 Custom
1983 Suzuki GS650L
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
post #78 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsconsin View Post
I also have experienced this phenomenon of shifting being a bit more difficult ..Finding Neutral is sometimes a challenge as well - But if I release the clutch just a little bit it pops right in as it should so I can adjust my technique to accommodate the better overall shifting.
With 130,000 miles on my bike I have learned some habits from the old sloppier shifting that worked, that now need to be 'unlearned'
I have been doing same as you. Release clutch a little and it will slide into gear. Not seeming to happen on upshift in any gear. I think I notice downshift from 3rd to 2nd sometimes end up as neutral. Bike does not want to shift to 1st but will go into 1st as I nearing a stop.

This on a 1991 with almost 30,000 miles. I wondering if it could be steel and aluminum expanding different.

"riding is good therapy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #79 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails View Post

9 inch pounds is about 1 lb of torque. I suspect everything has shifted out of alignment due to loose fasteners. I would open it up and tighten the block bolt to at least 15 ft lbs. Tighten the cinch bolt to 100 inch lbs. Heat the pivot with a heat gun to expand it. Tighten the cinch bolt while it is still hot. Don't overdo it. Start all over again.

Cliff,
post #80 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 PM

Year: 1997
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: '97 GL 1500SE
Don't know if you changed your oil recently, or changed brands of oil, but oil plays a big part in the smoothness of shifting. I'm on my 4th brand, and have finally found one I'm happy with. Tried Rotella T, then Rotella T6 Synthetic, then Mobil 1 20W50 Synthetic Motorcycle, and am now with Valvoline 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle. I've been looking for a synthetic that will shift well, and the Valvoline so far, is doing really well. Will probably try the Mobil 1 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle next, since I'm partial to Mobil, just to see if it might be better than the Valvoline. Anyway, just thought I'd mention the oil as a possible shifter problem. I know it has played a big part in my shifter smoothness and accuracy. I also have the shifter pivot, that works great regarding steadiness of the shift mechanism.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
Thomas Paine December, 1776

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > For Sale/Wanted Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page