GL1500 Auxiliary Shifter Pivot For sale - Page 9 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 116 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 PM
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Make: Honda
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppi-Le-Pew View Post
9 inch pounds is about 1 lb of torque. I suspect everything has shifted out of alignment due to loose fasteners. I would open it up and tighten the block bolt to at least 15 ft lbs. Tighten the cinch bolt to 100 inch lbs. Heat the pivot with a heat gun to expand it. Tighten the cinch bolt while it is still hot. Don't overdo it. Start all over again.

Cliff,
Sorry you right. I meant 9ft lbs. I dont have heat gun. Would hair dryer get it hot enough?

"riding is good therapy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 116 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Unofficial Youtube Addict

Year: 1991
Model: 1991 Goldwing SE Anniversary Edition
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails View Post
Sorry you right. I meant 9ft lbs. I dont have heat gun. Would hair dryer get it hot enough?
I loosened everything up and then reset. Torqued to spec and used heatgun. It improved but still getting small issue with accidentally getting neutrals. Annoying when try to pull out and bike sits in neutral but I dont know until I let clutch out.

I think I going to try to loosen everything again and see if I can't get it right. Also I need to send you a PM for something else. Thanks.

"riding is good therapy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #83 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Year: 1996
Model: '96 GL1500A
Garage
Just wanted to give a HUGE Thumbs Up on this product…

Have had mine for right at a year, and not only was the difference immediately noticeable, it just keeps on working properly…

THANK YOU AND… Kudo's Peppi… Kudo's

PS: My 1500 is equipped with floorboards & heel/toe shifter. Not sure of brand of them, but this device fit and is working GREAT…

Working for a living is HIGHLY over-rated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 116 (permalink) Old 10-28-2014, 12:07 PM
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer

Year: 2002
Model: 2002 GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happytrails View Post
I loosened everything up and then reset. Torqued to spec and used heatgun. It improved but still getting small issue with accidentally getting neutrals. Annoying when try to pull out and bike sits in neutral but I dont know until I let clutch out.

I think I going to try to loosen everything again and see if I can't get it right. Also I need to send you a PM for something else. Thanks.
I have had a similar problem on one of my GL1500's. When I put the pivot on the second GL1500 I noticed there is some rotational play in the assembly on the shift shaft prior to tightening. This play may make the difference between a full shift and a partial occasional shift. ON the 2nd install I did not fully tighten the pivot block on the shaft until I had made sure it was completely rotated down/back to allow full engagement motion of the lever. If it doesn't engage completely it will result in a partial shift, engaging the cogs until they feel the torque from engaged gears when it pops out. This play is a very small movement - but it may make the difference ...

I am going to take my first bike apart and make this small adjustment to see if it gets better - I am confident it will..

Currently in the stable
2002 GL1800 Pearl Orange
1983 Suzuki GS850 L
Previous Rides & Restorations
1996 GL1500 Aspencade Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade Spectra Red
1980 CX500 Custom Rattle Can Blue
1980 GL1100 Interstate
1978 CX500 Standard
1982 CX500 Custom
1983 Suzuki GS650L
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
post #85 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:37 PM

Model: 75-1000, 87-1200, 91-1500
OK Pepi,

I admit to being quite dense, and I have not checked this on my recently acquired 91 since I have not even run it yet, but I am having trouble getting my ears around this.

Did Honda actually put an oil seal on a shaft that does NOT pivot around its own axis? And expect it to last as it should?

I didn't know such a thing would be possible. I'm hoping I have just not processed some of your information correctly. It sounds as tho the shaft actually must move in an arc rather than pivot on center as I would expect.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. My head hurts trying to picture this operation, but it must work somehow...
post #86 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:02 PM

Year: 1999, 1975
Model: GL1500SE GL1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingunner View Post
OK Pepi,

I admit to being quite dense, and I have not checked this on my recently acquired 91 since I have not even run it yet, but I am having trouble getting my ears around this.

Did Honda actually put an oil seal on a shaft that does NOT pivot around its own axis? And expect it to last as it should?

I didn't know such a thing would be possible. I'm hoping I have just not processed some of your information correctly. It sounds as tho the shaft actually must move in an arc rather than pivot on center as I would expect.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. My head hurts trying to picture this operation, but it must work somehow...
The shaft you see does travel in an arc but it's not the shaft with the seal on it. This shaft is fastened to a second shaft that simply turns about its own axis. This puppy has an oil seal on it. The seal looked like a real mofo to replace so I left it as-is.

Terry

Don't own a Vanagon.
Don't work at Boeing.
Life is good.

1970 CB750
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500 SE
2002 VT750
post #87 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 PM

Hi Terry,

If I'm in the right diagram I think this is the shaft the shifter attaches to (#17) If I'm guessing right all it has to do is cam the tab on #16 and rotate shaft #15 clockwise or counter-clockwise to perform the shift.

If it is I can't see how the inside end could move in an arc, assuming it is seated into a corresponding blind hole. I wish I could find a wire-frame drawing of this engine so I could 'see inside'. It would be obvious to me then and I could make some sense of it.

....actually, after looking at this diagram again, the inside end of #17 might not be located in a solid location because it looks like that end would be up against the washers, spring and shaft #15.... I suppose I need to get back to work and perfect my x-ray glasses so I don't have to take things apart to understand the relationship of the internal parts.

Maybe when I get into the R&R I'll see what's going on and my little light will come on!
post #88 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingunner View Post
Hi Terry,

If I'm in the right diagram I think this is the shaft the shifter attaches to (#17) If I'm guessing right all it has to do is cam the tab on #16 and rotate shaft #15 clockwise or counter-clockwise to perform the shift.

If it is I can't see how the inside end could move in an arc, assuming it is seated into a corresponding blind hole. I wish I could find a wire-frame drawing of this engine so I could 'see inside'. It would be obvious to me then and I could make some sense of it.

....actually, after looking at this diagram again, the inside end of #17 might not be located in a solid location because it looks like that end would be up against the washers, spring and shaft #15.... I suppose I need to get back to work and perfect my x-ray glasses so I don't have to take things apart to understand the relationship of the internal parts.

Maybe when I get into the R&R I'll see what's going on and my little light will come on!
The beauty in this pivot is the KISS mentality behind the creation. It is so simple I don't know why it wasn't though of years ago. The shaft in which the pivot attaches to moves in an arc motion. The piece the pivot attaches to is actually a shaft extension. The seal installs inboard into the crankcase. Not the shaft extension.
post #89 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppi-Le-Pew View Post
The beauty in this pivot is the KISS mentality behind the creation. It is so simple I don't know why it wasn't though of years ago. The shaft in which the pivot attaches to moves in an arc motion. The piece the pivot attaches to is actually a shaft extension. The seal installs inboard into the crankcase. Not the shaft extension.
It sounds like the shaft that your brace attaches to (that the shift lever mounts to) is not located in this diagram then.

I'll do some digging in the shop manual and the world wide web and see if I can get a clear idea of the parts involved and their locations.

I'll quit bothering folks on this thread. I appreciate all your information and help everybody!
post #90 of 116 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Year: 2012
Model: 2012 Blue GL1800 Level 3
I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140303_233320_008.jpg (186.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140303_233340_837.jpg (153.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140303_233353_206.jpg (161.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140303_233447_642.jpg (221.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140303_233615_823.jpg (184.5 KB, 50 views)

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > For Sale/Wanted Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page