Bumping not allowed ? - Page 2 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

8Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1800 View Post
Ummm, editing your post won't change the post date.
so, it will remain in the list in date created order.

And, unless something has changed, IIRC there is a 72 hour limit on editing your own posts. This rule got added when we had a very good tech info person get out of sorts and he deleted all of his posts, 100s of them... we lost a terrific amount of tech knowledge when that happened.

so, we turned on a time limit for editing a post.

if you have a real need to update your For Sale thread, PM a moderator to help you.

but to just bump it to the top, ain't agonna happen. sorry
I did not mean that I wanted to bump a post every few days. Only when I disappeared from the first page. Seems like this forum is getting a little out of hand these days !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Junior Grue

Model: 1984 Interstate "Canadian"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
and I thought this was going to be a thread about bump starting the Wing

So I will ask: Is it ok to bump start the bike- ie: someone pushes bike by hand then you dump the clutch-
in an emergency situation = maybe starter failure during a ride??

Or better to call for a tow and figure it out at home?
As if I know anyone willing to push 1100 pounds!!
I bump started my GL1200I several times when I had a bad battery.
Sometimes with a helper pushing but mostly by my myself.

For the original question of bumping for sale posts without new information our moderators are in my opinion correct.

Advise given here is free and comes with no warranty "Caveat emptor"

Ken.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
I did not mean that I wanted to bump a post every few days. Only when I disappeared from the first page. Seems like this forum is getting a little out of hand these days !
Everyone wants to stay on the Front Page....
and when activity is up, that is impossible....

( by the way, the Front Page is controlled totally by how you set up the forum to read posts. 10 posts per page, or 50 posts per page? ) Personally, I have mine set to unlimited which is something like 36 threads/page!!! A few Stickys on the 1st page, but the 2nd page has 36 F/S threads on it.

Want more, set your fonts smaller, and you will get more. My fonts are 1/4 inch tall on a 24 inch monitor, and I still have 36 threads per page.

so, you bump yours up to the front, then the next guy on the bottom gets pissed and he bumps his to the top....

what we witnessed in the past is a Who can bump fastest race....
and there would be 4 or 5 who seemed to live on the forum and would keep bumping.... one several times a day so he always was #1....

That pissed Wexy and Steve Saunders off Big Time, and Wexy locked down the For Sale forum..... That has been in effect now for 6 years, so your complaint is falling on deaf ears...

sorry, but the Bump Rule stays in effect.

The forum is getting "out of hand"??

I interpret that to mean that the "forum won't run the way you want it".

The mod staff has to control the forum for the best of everyone... and in the For Sale forum, that means that everyone will maintain their position.

just because you aren't on the Front Page does not mean your thread is gone forever..... We never, ever, delete a For Sale thread unless it is closed by the seller.... ie, it sold or they found what they wanted.

folks do go thru all of the pages.... we continually have an "old F/S thread" brought back to life with the question "do you still have this?"

and yes, it is available and it gets sold.... that thread could be a year old, but it is on the 2nd or 3rd page still yet.... because we prevent it from being kicked downhill.

Don't forget, folks who want something know how to search the F/S forum...

~ John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:52 AM

Model: 1995 Gl1500se
I have to say, I'm in agreement with the forum on bumping a for sale post. If a person wants it back to the top then reduce the price. I've never been able to bump my for sale ad up in a print newspaper. Only fair to every one else.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500se
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldaugustine View Post
I have to say, I'm in agreement with the forum on bumping a for sale post. If a person wants it back to the top then reduce the price. I've never been able to bump my for sale ad up in a print newspaper. Only fair to every one else.

Which is a valid reason to cause it to go back to the top.

But, if you were the last poster you won't be able to do it yourself.

and that is why I said earlier to PM a moderator, who will modify the Title with the new price, correct any price info in the 1st post text, and will post to the thread about the Price Reduction: which will bump it up to the top.

If that is the only thing that needs to be done, you are good to go until you need to reduce the price again. And here is the trick, a mod posted last, so if you want to have a wholesale price reduction, you are entitled to post it yourself. but you only get to do that once yourself, so timing is critical...

The mod staff all understand marketing... but we need to be able to control the "keep it in front of the TV viewer's face" methods...

and that is why Bumping was locked out.

now this thread is occupying 1st page exposure, and that means someone is off the 1st page, which is not fair, so I am merging it to the Sticky Thread.... and the subject is closed.

~ John

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Model: 1984 GL1200 Standard & 1987 GL1200 Interstate
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Tom View Post
and I thought this was going to be a thread about bump starting the Wing

So I will ask: Is it ok to bump start the bike- ie: someone pushes bike by hand then you dump the clutch-
in an emergency situation = maybe starter failure during a ride??

Or better to call for a tow and figure it out at home?
As if I know anyone willing to push 1100 pounds!!
I find it especially easy to BUMP start a bike if it is parked on top of a hill. Gravity... it works.

I wonder if BUMP starting works on automatic bikes.

Brian
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 06:56 PM

Model: 1500 & 1800
Garage
Bottom line..... Rules are Rules! Period!

Az will testify to the fact that I drove him nuts at times when he would be the nice guy and bend the rules for folks just because, but Im the type where if it's a Rule, then everyone follows it. If you don't like the rules in the For Sale section, don't post there, Problem solved!

One Rule I would love to see (and one that I added to the NAGF For Sale Rules) is every for sale post MUST have a picture. There are very few exceptions to that rule. But it does eliminate the post from Joe in New York posting a wing he found on the Atlanta Georgia Craig's List. To me, that just takes up space........

But this isn't AZ, or Dave, or the new owners...... This is about Rules..... Rules are Rules....
BrianInPA likes this.

2012 Gl1800 Trike w/Hannigan Kit. 16000
2001 GL1800 ........ 73000 Miles
1989 GL1500 ...... 133000 miles and climbing

Darksider #551 - Austone Taxi Tire / Yokohama
Honorary Rhino.......

Honorary Newfie!! I have kissed the Cod, downed the Screech, and shouted "Long may your big jib draw!" so I am now a member of the Royal Order of Newfoundland Screechers.

Life is Hard.......... It's even Harder if your Stupid.......... Don't ask me how I know.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromo View Post
Last time I was on in the forsale section I think I tried to REPLY to posts others made in my thread and after the FIRST REPLY I was shown a page that said I could not post in that thread again for like 30 days!
BULL CRAP! I can ONLY POST 1 REPLY in 30 DAYS!!!!?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for deleting the threads of stuff that sold, I NEVER thought that was a decent idea at all, many times people may want or need to look up some item they bought to see some type of info on it! Locking a sold thread is ALL that is ever needed, NO reason to remove it totally! Then if anyone want to look it up they can, but locked it can not be posted to so no way to bring it to top again!
Chromo,

I am not aware of a 30 day rule.... IIRC, we finished up with just the bumping rule.

If you get asked a question, you can reply. simple as that.

Not delete a sold thread? that means it is still there taking up space and bumping someone off the 1st page. sorry, we delete.

~ John

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2015, 08:02 PM

Model: 2010 GL 1800
You are reaching an audience of people with bikes that span 40 years.
Do I want to buy a 1500? No thanks I have one. When the day comes I can upgrade to an 1800, perhaps a guy with a 1200 will have interest in
my 1500. Also with you in the Northwest and me in the Southeast. how low would your price have to be to entice me to make a purchase?
There are great deals in here and also not so great deals in here. I have mastered the craigslist game from vehicles from the 30's to present. I know key word searches that can find the impossible. The same can be done in this forum with out a bump, bump ,bump.
At this time I would like to thank ALL the MODERATORS. Great job,
Gentlemen.
CrystalPistol and Ray Dunbar like this.
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > For Sale/Wanted Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page