• 2 Post By DBohrer
  • 1 Post By CWN

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
1988 Goldwing For Sale

1988 Honda Goldwing 1500
$2350 negotiable obo.
113k miles, 3rd owner purchased in 2007 with 82k on clock. Always Garage Kept.
Front Forks rebuilt in 2015, Ken Hemings rebuilt alternator 2012, relatively brand new Dunlop E3 rear 2012 tire 108k and E3 front tire 2014 at 112k. New pads were installed when tires were replaced. New EBC rear brake rotor installed 95k. I Installed a new seat four years or so after I first bought the bike. Spark plugs, Cruise and sub filters replaced at 103k. Carbs and petcock rebuild at 113k and fuel pump replaced. All of this maintenance is written in the owners manual. Oil used is Rotella T and changed at average of 3k or so. Nearly forgot, the timing belts were replaced within a few months after I purchased the bike. Forward pegs etc. Baker airwings. Tall windshield. Bike has intact factory tool set and owners manual.
The bike has a trailer hitch and wired for trailer lights. Radio works but I never used the CB or intercom. The LCD display on the dash is experiencing the bleeding of the display and was when I purchased the bike. The paint for the year is in excellent condition with a couple of minor scratches, one being on right side saddle lid and a small one on the trunk lid. I did repaint the shelter housing and it had gotten some scratches over time.
Has not been ridden or started since 2016. Carb is rebuilt but has a vacuum leak. Randakkís carb kit used in rebuild. I installed new low speed jets of the size used on a 1990 model 1500 to eliminate the low speed stumble on the bike The new jets eliminated the off idle stumble but have yet to find a vacuum the leak. When running it was in a very rich condition. The hose under the carb and insulation blanket were replaced even though it appeared to be in good condition. The insulation blanket between the carburetors and engine has been replace with new.
When I embarked on the carb rebuild several things began to surface on this bike. It will need the master cylinder rebuilt as the foot brake pedal no longer pumps up, the fuel pump will not activate when the key is turned on. Itís a new carter fuel pump. I also have a new spare one. Not sure itís the pump or key switch.
The pics show deer alerts. (Grin) Those were on the bike when purchased. Simply did not want to remove them.
I rate the bike cosmetically at a 9.0/10 for 31yr old and an 8/10 mechanically as it presently sits. I have the tickets on the items purchased and written actual miles written in owners manual regarding maintenance, oil changes and tires. There are some indication of past leaks (forks and shifter seal) that has not completely been cleaned up, but there are no leaks now since seals for both have been replaced. Bike is sitting in my garage with no drips or fresh oil beneath the bike. The right side passenger map pocket lid blew off one day and black duct tape secures it. That is the single biggest cosmetic issue on the bike. Also the pump controls on the right side lower vent was replaced from an Ebay purchase. It was off another bike and does not appear as nice as the rest of the controls. Trying to be completely honest in the appearance condition.

Reason for selling? I retired 2017. Too many projects. Have decided to give up riding because the wife now is on blood thinners which has presented some other issues as well. The whole reason for getting the bike was for us to ride together. Without her I have little to no interest in ridding alone anymore. When the multiple issues started happening with the bike after the carb rebuild I simply became frustrated with the whole process and parked it. Once these maintenance items are addressed and taken care of it will be as dependable as it was in the past. We made several long distance trips on it.
I have been a longtime member of the Steve Saunders Goldwing chat group and forum. My experiences with this bike are well documented under the user name of TXRLGL1500.
Current pics of the bike. Additional pictures provided on request. Location is North of Fort Worth Texas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190514_114719 - Copy.jpg (111.0 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:14 PM

Model: '99 Gold Wing SE
The rear master cylinder is not an easy item to remove/replace. However, they are not a common failure item. Very very rarely ever happens.

Two things:

1. Bleed the rear brakes.

2. Check the rear caliper "piston seals". If bad, it will cause the issue you described. They can allow "air" to penetrate the brake system. (Don't ask how I know)

Fuel pump issue:

1. Check the fuel pump relay first, then go from there if needed. Yep, your 1988 fuel pump is powered by a relay (unlike later years).

PS: It would be easier to sell with no maintenance issues. Just a thought......!!
corkya and CrystalPistol like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Model: 1988 1500A.
Will look into both those items when I get the garage cleaned out. No space there to do anything related to maintenance. Thanks for the reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 07:24 AM
CWN

Year: Pro 1500
Model: 43 years winging it
I've lost the b.pedal twice on my 91. First time bleeding the rear worked-2nd time left front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01363.jpg (81.9 KB, 7 views)
CrystalPistol likes this.

Calif Wing Nut 1976-2018 Gwoa 1976-Gwrra 353 1978 Life- Cwef 82-Agwa 84-Gwta 87-Cwc 90.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Year: 1999
Make: Honda
Model: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRLGL1500 View Post
1988 Honda Goldwing 1500
$2350 negotiable obo.
That is a great price! I sold my 88 a few years ago for $3500 but, other than my strong suggestion that he get the front brake rotors replaced, it had no maintenance issues.

Good luck!

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > For Sale/Wanted Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page