Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - MEC Waderer 2 - Tent review

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Dusty Boots
Just another ORF!

Model: 92 1500 Aspencade
Garage
Post imported post

For those that aren't aware, I have been an avid 'outdoors man' for years andhave enjoyedbackpacking, canoe tripping and motorcycle/car touring/camping for most of my life. Bargain Basement 'gear' just doesn't cut it with me as my life may depend on quality(not necessarily expensive!) gear to keep me safe and comfortable when I'm miles away from the nearest human, so no Walmart/Kmart offerings find their way home with me.

I have been contacted by various members for advice on camping gear and I thought that I would just post a review of a great tent that is of generous size, reasonable price and doesn't take up a lot of room while packed on your bike.

My Backpacking tent/shelter although extremely light and compact for a 2 man tent, is just not big enough to easily change in/out of my riding gear.

My regular car camping tent is a bit too much for motorcycle touring, without a trailer. It is rather bulky/heavy and doesn't have 2 protected vestibules like it's smaller sibling belowhas.

MEC's Wanderer 2, A 2 man - 3 season tent.

It's been around for ages and it's a well proven and honed design, with lots of features and good ideas. I think it's a steal at only $207.00CDN

While a little bulky/heavy to be termed a true backpacking tent, it isn't so bad when split between 2. It's also ideal for canoe tripping, motorcycle touring and even car camping.

It has a fairly generous amount of floor space for a 2 person tent, with 3.4sq.m/36.6sq.' and 2 large vestibules that fully protect the inner tent during downpours.

The full coverage fly is made of 75-denier polyester taffeta, polyurethane-coated for waterproofness to 2000mm. and all seams are factory taped/sealed.
The floor is made of MEC's HT-Sealâ„¢, polyurethane-coated for waterproofness to 10,000mm.

It has 2 full vestibules, which open in a variety of ways and has 2 hooded vents, to help expel condensation.

I also bought it's custom made
footprint which is a bargain for just $17.00CDN

I have found it very roomy when used by myself and I would imagine it fits 2 people without being 'squished', as is the case with most 2 man tents. It has very good headroom and the slant of the walls is such that it allows lots of elbow room.

Overall, I'd rate this tent as better than any Sierra Designs/REI/Kelty tent I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of tents over the years. I currently own 4 other tents, as I've sold off a few of the ones I don't use much anymore.

Here is a little slide-show, that shows the tent and it's features.(Click on the 'Show Info' tab on the upper right}

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dusty-boots/sets/72157618562830003/show/

Dusty

1992 1500 Aspencade - 213,178 showing on the clock

- just another Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"anyone can go fast on a straightaway" - Dusty Boots

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome