Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - Ageing Vacuum Lines on a GL1500

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
N5HQ

Post imported post

I had an appointment today for a diagnosis with a Honda dealer. The mechanic didn’t have the manual for the 1989 so he was working from a 1988 manual. He admittedly was a GL1800 mechanic but he had resources. He tore it down to the carbs and couldn’t find anything wrong. One vacuum line was a little soft in a bend but wasn’t bad. He just cut about a half an inch off and it was fine. The vacuum slides were in perfect condition. He just couldn't find anything mechanical wrong.

He thinks it is electrical but the controls and connectors are under the carbs so he didn’t go any further. He spent over three hours and only charged me for one. He ordered a 1989 manual and will confer with senior techs before I bring it back for more troubleshooting.

I did notice another symptom on the way home. I can’t even begin to understand how this is possible but if I hold the clutch and shift from second to third the RPM’s will increase about 1K RPM and when I shift back to second the RPM’s will fall to idle. I had no idea that there were sensors to detect gears other than neutral.

He told me that he had a few other 1500’s that were acting the same and he wanted to figure it out since he thinks it may be a common problem. He stated that he will spend some of his own time researching. I will be taking the bike back later and leaving it so that he can tear it down, remove the carbs and figure this thing out.

N5HQ

1989 GL1500

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

APRS - n5hq-10

4 wheels move the body. 18 wheels move the world. 2 wheels move the soul...

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome