i gave up the drink - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Graphics Guru

Post imported post

[align=center]i put this in the fun forum because everyone else thinks i am joking, but i'm not.

i gave up the drink. havent touched a drop since my birthday last month, 3 weeks dry. i just got fed up looking at my friends pissed drunk and knowing i looked just the same to them, overdosing on vodka just to get the buzz. getting into fights over nothing every weekend, my knuckles swollen from punching other idiots like me around, dislocated a knuckle in february. fighting, always fighting.
i ripped my new birthday clothes in a fight, twisted my ankle and lost a brand new shoe running from the garda√* when they came to break up another fight. my samsung galaxy phone i got at Christmas smashed in another fight when it fell outa my pocket and got trampled in the scrum. i think i lost ‚ā¨20 in that one too.
i dont mind a fight now an again, but i added them all up one day and its 12 that i remember since Christmas, way too much.

the weekend after my birthday in an arranged fight with lads from another part of town one of my friends got slashed with a stanley knife and had to have 40 stitches in his back and neck, he only got outa hospital in time for Easter. we never even seen the stanley coming and i got more clothes ruined with all the blood from carrying him home.
i had enough after i that. i dont have to prove myself to anyone. they all know i can take care of myself and the problem is they all expect me to come running to take care of them too. only 12 months to my big school exams and all the time i wasted that could have been used for studying.

3 weeks later and not a single fight since, my clothes are lasting longer than a few days and my knuckles are all healed up again. it was the demon drink to blame. the adults are right, tis always the drink to blame. i am not saying i wont ever drink again, but i am done with hiding in fields with my friends, skulling bottles of cheap vodka and coke until i get drunk.
[/align]

Dylan Saunders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Just one of the guys

Model: '94 1500 SE with Tri-wing Trike kit
Garage
Post imported post

Doug

Home Security System designed by Bill Ruger

'94 Bermuda Green Pearl SE With Tri-Wing Trike conversion

The more I try to keep my Trike clean, the less I like Chrome.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM

Model: 08 gl1800/sidecar
Post imported post

Good for you. A close friend of the family died from a blood clot after one to many bar fights. You might lose a friend or two as you won't be as much fun, but trust me you'll live longer to enjoy all the good things life has to offer.

Judge me by my size do you...size matters not
Yoda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Deceased 1/2017

Model: GL1200 Se-i Trike
Send a message via Skype™ to RobTheHillbilly
Post imported post

Proud of you for making a decision that has eluded many adults.

1986 GL1200 SE-i Trike
Thanks to my wife who puts up with me saying "I wonder if this will work" and who likes my cooking!

The Wife...Louann

Tennessee F.& A.M.
Past Master Arcana Lodge #489
32* KCCH Scottish Rite, Valley Of Knoxville Orient of Tennessee

Freemasonry--2B1ASK1

What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us, what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pike

Honorary Rhino NASSIR7
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 PM

Post imported post

Good for you Dylan...I know some folks in their 60's who haven't figured that out yet!

Past rides:
\'82 Yamaha 250 dual-purpose
\'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900

Currently Owned Bikes:
\'86 GL1200I (project)
\'92 GL1500A
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Garage
Post imported post

congrats on givin up just stay busy and remember if ya need to talk to anyone im sure anyone on here will take time outta their day to talk

proud of ya

i am the current president of the non punctuators and bad spelling motorcycle group

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:30 AM

Post imported post

Good for you Dylan. You are just going through the same thing that students everywhere experience. Drink, drink and more drink. I'm glad you had the cop on to stop now.

Ellen
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 06:57 AM
The Irish Crew

Model: GL1100 Interstate
Post imported post

Good man Dylan. The demon brew is bad news when you go binging. Then you have to remember you are a black belt at karate and also do boxing. If you seriously hurt someone in a fight you might get into trouble. My older brother Tom was like that. A great boxer and not afeared to stand up to anyone. I never had any problems from bullies, they all knew Tom would get them if they even said boo to me.
At your age he could stand up to grown men and beat the daylights out of them. Full of drink he was invincible, got me involved in a few fights at weekends. Tom had a busted nose, cracked knuckles and other injuries almost permanently. Got a fractured skull when someone hit him with a hammer.
I think he would have ended up dead. What saved him was a new girlfriend, she threatened to leave him if he kept getting into fights.

Well done for seeing the light early on.

Alan Fitzpatrick.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:09 AM
Keeper of the Bookmarks / Moderator

Year: 2002
Make: Honda
Model: GL1800 Hot Rod Yellow
Garage
Post imported post

I'm proud of you Dylan, the mind's thoughts seem to drift away from reality after a swallow two.

My dad was a lot of fun, until he got about six ounces of brew past his throat. Then his personality changed and for the worse. I would just disappear and go somewhere else.

Again, good for you laddie. I will buy you a Pepsi or a Coke when we see you next.

~ John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What is the Forum Index?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Download it here:

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 AM

Year: 1996
Make: Goldwing SE
Model: 1996 GL1500SE
Garage
Post imported post

My son is 23 now but over the last 5 years he was one of those heavy partiers. But 2 of his friends are dead one to overdose and one for picking a fight with someone who had a gun. Others have ended up in jail for causing serious dammage to innocent people who just happened to be in their way when they got drunk. His decision last year was it just isn't worth it in fact some of his old friends, he says he just avoids because they don't get it yet and they will try to get you involved when their drunk. He says so far he hasn't regretted a single moment. He still drinks he says but now he does it in moderation and he says heactually thinks he is having more fun. He also says he now gets invited to more parties and outingsand is meeting a completely different class of people. I'm actually really proud of him....

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

Always look for the door "C" it may be hidden but there is always one there...
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Fun Forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page