Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

89 GL1500 Gas cap

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  satan 
#1 ·
imported post

Just got this bike and it did not have the original gas cap, so ordered one from a cycle salvage place. The one I got does not have a place for the vent/overflo line. Does it matter at all to me?

Thanks for any help

Larry

#4 ·
imported post

Damn... My bad.

Is your bike originally a California Emissions model?

The "all others" cap (HONDA 17670-MN5-003) is what that photo shows...

I've not worked on a CA model, but they have the hose you're speaking of (cap = Honda 17670-MN5-741).

Be prepared for the sting, that cap is prolly 3 or 4 times the price of the standard cap.

Goes to show, I sohoulda looked it up before popping-off the quick answer (does your air filter have the embedded charcoal element?)

#5 ·
imported post

Hi, I've got an 88 1500 with the same cap as yours and the pipe (circled in yellow) going nowhere. Do I understand from what your saying, the cap should have a pipe coming off it connected to the copper pipe? I've run my bike for 4 years like this and do occasionally smell petrol. I assume it's from this pipe.
Thanks, Jim

#6 ·
imported post

Oh no .. that circled "end" of the vent is just a vent to atmosphere for the carbs -- no connection...

The photo was stolen from another thread and intended only to illustrate the HONDA 17670-MN5-003 fuel cap.

My '88 is the same as yours northwing , it's got that incomplete and open vent pipe screwed to the rear of the airbox like thousands of others...

#8 ·
imported post

To identify the emissions package on the bike there are a couple of 'flags' and one dead giveaway.

- The fuel cap with a hose is part of an extended evaporative emissions control system not (generally) found on the 49-state bikes.
- There will be a vacuum hose routing diagram on the fuel tank (lthat'd be under the front of the seat) for CA models (I've seen a few of the diagrams, but I believe that they're for CA only in 88-89)
- There is an additional charcoal element that is screwed into the air filter taking roughly 1/4 of the available filter space (left rear corner area of the filter is where the charcoal element is fastened) - usually NOT installed if someone priced the CA-only air filters:shock:
- The Dead-Giveaway would be to look at the emissions label (a "Vehicle Emissions Control Information Label" is required for all US models) that'll be affixed to the right side of the frame usually at the front edge of the space covered by the battery cover. The label would indicate if the bike was certified to the US emissions or to California emissions

If it all comes down to being unknown still, you could have a dealer run your VIN, Frame, or Engine's number (VIN probably best) to see what market it was built for.

If memory serves me correctly, the CA models also have a carbon canister that is plumbed to collect these evaporative emissions as in - line to the fuel cap, line to that funny metal pipe (the cab float bowl vents) and probably one to the air filter box. The intent of that canister is to use a weak vacuum in the canister to "draw" HC emissions from the connected systems into the carbon media in the canister, then on the bike's next start allow the stored HC vapors to be drawn into the engine's intake for combustion/conversion into some other pollutant (heat, noise, power, etc)

As for leaving the hoses disconnected being a "trouble" for the bike... I don't believe that it would have major impacts, HOWEVER... The calibration of the computer and jetting should address the flow of gasses that will be entering from the evaporative canister (ok really ought'a, but I have none of the running code for the computers or specs on CA-specific carb changes). I'd suspect that on the grand scheme of things, I'd suspect that as long as you do not un-cap any vacuum source you'd be OK (the canister 'prolly has a temperature or vacuum-level sensitive control on however it's routed back to the intakes)...

That said, I'm blaming the disappearing polar ice shelf on you two guys :p :cooldevil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.