Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee Bailey Windshield

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bagelboy 
#1 ·
imported post

I am thinking about replacing my stock windshield on my 2005 Goldwing with a Cee Bailey. Does anyone have one installed? Is it good, or is there a better one available? What exactly is the "Euro Cut", and do I want it.

Thanks,

Oddwing

#2 ·
imported post

Don't know much about the Cee Bailey windscreen but I am buying the windbender for my 1800. They have been very helpful and have heard mostly positive results about it. Check them out also. Tony:waving:

#5 ·
imported post

I put a Cee Bailey screen on my 1500 two or three years ago and have been very happy with it. I usually wear polarized sunglasses and the Cee Bailey is one of the very few windshields that don't show stress rainbows with the polarized glasses. Very solid, much stiffer than original at least on the 1500 versions. Silverfox also put one on his old 1500 and seemed to like it as well.

#7 ·
imported post

bristol3261 wrote:
C.Bailey offers a wind screen 2" lower than stock. Has anyone tried a wind screen you look over rather than thru? And how might it effect the passenger?thankyou FM/1500se

Hi bristol3261

I cut my stock windshield down 3" and it made a huge difference in how the bike now feels to me. It's an 07-GL1800

Slightly more turbulence than before butI gotused to it very quickly .

The bike just feels more sporty and I can see and read the road better.

My windshield isnowat mouth or nose level.

The passenger has not complained and said that it didn't make much of a difference to her.

#8 ·
imported post

Prosso ,I have toyed with the idea of cutting down my old windshield. Could you share how you went about it ? On the bike/ off the bike? what tool? how did you finnish the cut edge?

was it the original factory windshield you cut or a thicker one?

thank you . fm

#9 ·
imported post

I cut 1" off my Cee Bailey stock height shield. I used masking on both sides of the windshield where the cut would be, wide enough on the front side to protect the plastic from the base of my saber saw which I used to make the cut. To draw the cut line on the tape I used a compass or divider and holding the two legs vertical to each other scribed the line from the top curve of the windshield. A fairly fine toothed blade with the saw running at a slow speed to reduce heating which melts the plastic made the cut. I was careful to hold the weight of the saw to prevent side loads on the cutting blade. It's critical to cut slowly and cut off the scrap piece above the cut to prevent it's vibration which can crack the plastic at the cut. Be sure to cut the waste short when you get close to the end of the cut so it can't break off ahead of the cut. Two finish off the cut edge I used a 10" ******* file and filed along the edge, not across it, until the saw marks were gone. At that point I wet sanded the edge with 300 grit and radiused or rounded off the edges a bit. 600 grit finished off the job. The finished edge looked as good as the factory original edge. It's safest not to do the job unless the plastic is at room temperature. Cold conditions tend to encourage cracking during cutting.

#10 ·
imported post

bristol3261 wrote:
Prosso ,I have toyed with the idea of cutting down my old windshield. Could you share how you went about it ? On the bike/ off the bike? what tool? how did you finnish the cut edge?

thank you . fm
Hi fm

I did it on the bike, because it ismuch easier to do it this way. I have cut down many

windshields in various manners but this works the best for me.

First I made a cardboard template of the curve of the corners, I traced a corner onto the cardboard then cut it out with scissors. You need to decide what height to cut it down to. Sit on the bike on the ground ( off of the side or center stand) and mark where you think that you would like to cut it, most wind shields can be raised or lowered I would mark it when it is in the lowest position, you can always raise it up if you want.Next I covered the the shield with 2 pieces of 2" bluemasking tape right across from side to side,this to protect the lower part that will remain. I then set a combination square to the depth of the mark that I had put on that decides the height that I wanted , and using a fine tip feltpen ran a line across the windshield. Next I used the cardboard template that I made so that the shield would have the same radiuson the corners and also would be symmetrical on both sides. I then used a jigsaw with a medium blade to make the cut. It's a good idea to cover your bike with lots of blankets or something. after I made the cut I "faired in " and smoothed the cut line by draw filing. At this time youcan file a nice rounded profile to the cut,then I finished the cut edge CAREFULLY with fine sandpaper. Notice the word CARE FULL don't rush and drag the sandpaper by accident against your windshield.

Hope that this helps you .

Let me know if you need more info.

#11 ·
imported post

bristol3261 wrote:

thank you . fm
It is an original factory windshield but I have also cut down aftermarket ones as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.