Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to change GL1500 gear shifter shaft oil seal. With pictures.

25K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  whitewhale 
#1 ·
imported post

How to change gear spindle shaft oil seal.
Hi. I have found that left side of the engine is wet. After investigation I have understood that the spindle shaft oil seal is worn. Also nicks on the shaft are worn and it haв a free play. Below is an info, how to change this ill-starred oil seal.

1. Get the bike on the right side on the guard ( I have used a pieces of wood under the guards).
2. Uninstall left lower fairings (see the manual because I was lazy to make some photos)

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
imported post

8. Pull the exhaust down and forward. Now u should to unscrew the shaft bolt and disassembly it. In my case the shaft had looseness and a bit worn nicks. I decided to cut the clearance by disc cutter; therefore I would squeeze the shaft on the spindle shaft.

Attachments

#15 ·
imported post

Great tutorial really appreciate all of you posts. Keep them coming. :clapper:

You know your way around a camera as well as you know your way around a Wing. Great pics too. :clapper:

#17 ·
imported post

Thank you for taking the time to do this lesson! I know I have that job waiting for me in the future. Mine is just starting to barely seep oil. Not a problem yet, but with all the crud down there, it's inevitable! Thanks again, nice job. jimsjinx

#18 ·
imported post

I layed the bike down on a carpet...removed the shifter and reached around the pipes to do the job...but ya need to work like a tedious surgeon with longer tools...but doable without messing with the nasty pipes...good pics and tutorial!!

#19 ·
imported post

I just stripped off most of my plastic today as I am beginning to do all the maintence on the ole girl. (97 Aspy) I discovered that my seal must be leaking(very little) because of the oily mess around it.

I'm not too fond of having to take the exhaust all down just to get to it. And then the frame is right smack in front of it also:gunhead::gunhead:. But I guess it's better to do it in my warm garage then to be out far from home and have it give out completely.

I think I'll give a try at it without removing the exhaust likegrambo did. Only,,, I have mine on the jack right now. So I won't be laying it on it's side like he did.

Thanks for posting the tutorial with pics. It does help for sure.

#20 ·
imported post

its much much easier with it on its side..to see and work on....unless you get it up high on a rack..you should be ok...spray it out real good with carb cleaner and use a sticky sealer when you pop it in...no burrs on splines also...if you cant manage it you can just pull down the headers... not remove completely for more room...but with the right longer tools you dont have to.

#21 ·
imported post

Thanks grambo,,,,,,,,, I did go back to it and got it all cleaned up. It really isn't that bad,,,,, I mean, it has no apparent drip of oil,,,,,, just a light coating around it. But I will still replace it.

Where do you put the sticky sealer?? Just around the outside of it after popping it in??? And would a gasket sealer be ok to use??

#23 ·
imported post

excellent post, this should be in the workshop how to section.

#24 ·
imported post

thanks for the pictures, man do they say a thousand words just by themselves.

:applause:

#25 ·
imported post

I'm going to check out my seal today to see if it is leaking. I just finishished rebuilding the clutch slave cylinder while the bike was on the center stand. Hardest part of that was getting the bolt started to hold the bleed tube. :hallo:

#26 ·
imported post

Excellent information. My shifter seal is working it's way out creating a leak so as soon as I can get a replacement seal from my dealer I will attempt to tackle this job hopefully without having to drop the exhaust. A very good tip about the difference in seal sizes, thank you.

Charlie
'98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.