lock out side stand - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Post imported post

I would think it would be beneficial to have some sort of parking brake (other thanleaving the bike in gear). Living in mountainous terrain, often level parking spots are rare. It would also be nice to leave the bike running while on a slope without worrying about it rolling forward and tipping over.

2004 Candy Red GL1800
2004 Honda XR400 (dirtbike)
1999 Kawasaki Concours
1986 Yamaha Virago 1100

If I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself... damn dirt bikes.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 11:18 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

maybe instead of a parking brake as previously suggested ,,How about a lock out side stand ?When the side stand is on you need to hit a button to release it ,,that way the bike will not fall over if it moves slightly forward ,,simple solonoid type device would do the job ..Ciaran

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 11:47 AM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

wexman wrote:
Quote:
maybe instead of a parking brake as previously suggested ,,How about a lock out side stand ?When the side stand is on you need to hit a button to release it ,,that way the bike will not fall over if it moves slightly forward ,,simple solonoid type device would do the job ..Ciaran
I am unsure of how the 1800s are but my 1500 is very lacking. I wish the side stands were much more stable. I put mine in reverse when parked, but this shouldn't be necessary.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:07 PM

Post imported post

The 1800 are worse than the 1500 ,because they are lighter ,they don't dig into the ground as much ,so it is very easy for them to roll off the stand ,,First day I had the 1800 I parked in the exact spot where I always parked my 1500 ,,I got of the bike and it rolled forward off the stand ,much to my embarassment.....Ciaran

yes it is Gaelic

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:49 PM

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

In which case, future Wings could definately benifit from improvement either with lock out stand or, at least an improved stand.

Pete

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 06:00 PM
Older and Wiser

Model: GL1500 Aspencade
Post imported post

Parking brake would be good. Some of the big scooter type bikes already have this.

Ben.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Postpubescent member

Model: None at present
Post imported post

The 1500 has a parking brake, just pull up the reverse lever, doesn't the 1800 work like that?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
None at present
Past 'Wings: GL1100, GL1200, GL1500, GL1800

Current BMW C650GT
Paul W.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 07:05 AM

Post imported post

Yes ,,except it is a button ,,But it is not recommended ,,as it can cause the reverse pin to break and it would end up costing a lot of money to repair ,,I have never heard of it doing any damage yet ,,but I am sure someone will come along and tell us it happened to them ...cheers axe oops wexman

yes it is Gaelic

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:52 PM

Post imported post

XCLR8N wrote:
Quote:
I would think it would be beneficial to have some sort of parking brake (other thanleaving the bike in gear). Living in mountainous terrain, often level parking spots are rare. It would also be nice to leave the bike running while on a slope without worrying about it rolling forward and tipping over.

Good idea, My st1100 had one fitted, I think it came from a quad bike. when you pulled the hand bake lever in you engage the catch, on pulling he lever back in the catch springs back off. Worked well for me.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 04:39 PM
GERIATRIC MEMBER

Model: Neighbours 1800
Post imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
Quote:
when you pulled the hand bake lever in you engage the catch, on pulling he lever back in the catch springs back off.

Hey what was in that drink??

"Redwing"

"The Rider Of The Fastest Colour"
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page