Taller 5th gear - Page 3 - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Model: 2012
Post imported post

I think the gear ratio should be raised starting with first gear. When making a left turn at a traffic stop, I feel I need to change gears before I get through the intersection.

Frank
2013 GL 1800 Silver
PGR
Darksider #638
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.~Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 PM
FM

Model: 91-I
Garage
Post imported post

Another thing I'd like to see is another "Neutral" between 4th & 5th. Running long coasts downhill's or coasting to red lights one has to either hold in the clutch or (eeeks) downshift to neutral at high speeds.

Then this 6th gear thought... Just make it double overdrive. 6th would really be useful with tailwinds or drafting.

ORRrrrr,..... maybe an electric 2 speed differential?
Satisfy everyone's needs. Differential in LOW for trailering & gearheads, differential HIGH for mileage mongers. Then there's those who like to do a lot of shifting.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 PM

Post imported post

They just gotta put in one of those CVT's and be done with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Post imported post

FVM wrote:
Quote:
ORRrrrr,..... maybe an electric 2 speed differential?
Satisfy everyone's needs. Differential in LOW for trailering & gearheads, differential HIGH for mileage mongers. Then there's those who like to do a lot of shifting.
CB900s had something on the order of a two-range transmission. Quite heavy they were.. A sixth gearwould have been a simpler option.

Don\'t spook the road sheep.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 AM
Passed On, R.I.P.

Post imported post

Geezerglider wrote:
Quote:
I think the gear ratio should be raised starting with first gear.* When making a left turn at a traffic stop, I feel I need to change gears before I get through the intersection.*
Geezerglider, I understand the sentiment, but...it's a case of "watch what you wish for"....you're describing the original GL1000, and first gear was WAY too tall. The clutch was stout, and could take it, but slipping up to 15+mph gets REALLY old, really fast. Frankly, the 1000 SUCKS in start/stop traffic, IMHO.

At the high end, I thought the GL1800 was already in overdrive (right?) in 5th gear. I'm sure they could add a "sixth" and gain some mpg, but...it would be absolutely worthless, if you needed to accelerate. I'm not saying they shouldn't, but perhaps they surmised that folks expect some acceleration, at any speed, out of that big an engine?

I didn't really calculate it, on my four day jaunt down to NASSIR2, but, it seemed to me that I mostly got about the same mileage as my ancient GL's (i.e. 40mpg, or above) even on the 1800. Granted, I wasn't towing a trailer, or riding two-up, but..I was quite "sporty" about it, and not trying to conserve.

Motorcycle Pete
-----------------------------------
Motorcycle Pete Bateman is no longer with us. He passed away at home in July 2010. Always popular, Pete is missed by all of us.
-----------------------------------
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:58 AM

Model: 2012
Post imported post

Motorcycle Pete wrote:
Quote:

Geezerglider, I understand the sentiment, but...it's a case of "watch what you wish for"....you're describing the original GL1000, and first gear was WAY too tall. The clutch was stout, and could take it, but slipping up to 15+mph gets REALLY old, really fast. Frankly, the 1000 SUCKS in start/stop traffic, IMHO.
Unless riding two up, or starting up a pretty steep grade, I often use 2nd gear to start, and it seems to do very well without straining the engine. 1st gear to me is a lot like 1st gear in my truck, which I never use unless under heavy load.

Frank
2013 GL 1800 Silver
PGR
Darksider #638
The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.~Albert Einstein
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:52 AM

Post imported post

I've been looking at the gear ratios on the older vs. newer GL1100s. I'm wondering if a change in 4th and 5th to the newer gear sets would be beneficial (they seem to be slightly taller). It would certainly be a lot of work..

Don\'t spook the road sheep.
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Post imported post

A lot taller on all the gears would be just fine with me...
It's easy to start her at the redlights on fifth gear if you'd like to, but the first is far too low and the fifth could be a lot taller to reach comfortable cruising revs...
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page