Better heating - Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Model: GL1800 '06 GL1200 SEi '86
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox
Post imported post

Surely, Mother Honda could extract some serious heat and make those vents effective. Every rag top car seems to have pretty good heating, how come not on a bike like the Wing? Heated grips and seats are all very well and nice, but blown heat would be more useful.

Pete

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'06 GL1800
'86 GL1200SEi
'98 ST1100 Pan European, formerly owned by the Late Motorcycle Pete, Member and good friend of many on this site. Available for use by visitors from the USA and Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 06:11 AM

Year: 2003
Model: GL1800
Send a message via Yahoo to wexy
Post imported post

This is a motorbike ,,Whatever happened to "wind in my face" freedom on 2 wheels etc etc etc ,,So come on ya wimp ,,Put more clothes on Ciaran

Mind you ,could do with a bit of heat on my legs

CIARAN (pronounced Keeron)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
yes it is Gaelic

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:11 PM

Year: 1995
Make: Honda
Model: 20th Anniversary edition
Post imported post

Hi Pete,

Here is a little blow by blow of how I did it on my 1500, but will work on all of the Wings with fans.

And of course, if you duct tape the fan vents on either side closed, the air will beeven moreforceful out the heater vents and it will not overheat. Just use Black or white duct tape, not tacky silver......unless you have a silver wing......

I saw a vent cover once that you could buy to put over those vents, that will blow the air back towards you too, but don't remember where I saw those.

But the fans still need to be running for those covers to work too!

Here we go:

Basically, look on the bottom of theleft radiator at the thermostatic heat sensor unit.

It'sunder the front plastic panel in the middle, at the bottom front of the bike.

Pull the stock connector with wireoff the thermostat. It just pulls off.

There is a hole in the blade of the thermostat connector.

Strip about 1/2 inch of insulation off your new wire, and put it in the hole on the thermostat and fold it towards the base of it.

I used 26 guage wire, but you could use even smaller wire, since this is a very low amperage stock setup, and the fans turn on via a solenoid, not the wire on the thermostat.

Then push the stock connector back on overthe new wire.

String that new wire up into the left glove compartment andzip tie itso it won't drop down.

I drilled a 1/4" hole in the plastic near the handle bar (its the radio shroud).

Thensolder 2 (18" long)wires onto the small radio shack toggle switch (SPST Miniature) and install the switch in the hole so forward is on....like "Go Forward"

Then I strung those 2 switch wires into the glove compartment.Run one tothe cigarette lighter ground. It doesn't matter which one.

(You can ground it anywhere too, if you do not have a 12v receptical)

I used a wire nut to wire the other end to that new wire coming from the thermostat, and also used a wirenutin betweenthe ground wire.

(That way, if you have to pull the radio plastic off, those wires can be easily disconnected.

Then screw the plastic glove tray back into the left side.

That's it.

How it works.

The thermostat grounds itself at it's set temperature, so that is why it has only one wire in the first place.

When the thermostat reaches its set temperature, it grounds itself, throws the solenoid, and the fans turn on.

That is exactly what the switch does...grounds the thermostat, the solenoid activates and the fans come on.

When you switch the fans off with the switch, the thermostat still functions absolutely perfectly for that same reason.

It's easier than it sounds. Hope that helps.

I'll take a picture when I get home from work tonight and will post it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThermostatBiPassSW (Large).JPG (66.4 KB, 224 views)

Dave

Do I love Hondas?

Prev. owned:

1962-50&50C-110, 63S-65, S-90, 150(Dream) 305&350 Scrambler, CB400-AutoTrans
71,72&73750s, 75 G-Wing (1st Yr)\' 79 900(10 speed) & 83 1100 I-state.

Now:1995 Aspy 20th Anniversary, 750 Nighthawk
Closed Thread

Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums > Forums > Feedback for Hondas Goldwing Team

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page